Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, August 24, 2009

Okay, so I try not to get on too many soap boxes in my blog posts. Really, I do. I admit, it does occasionally occur, try as I might, but still, I do try. Sort of. As much as my lazy half-hearted personality will allow me to 'try' with anything. However, someone had this posted on face-book and I watched it. Twice. I suppose I had to watch it twice for a few different reasons....one being, I was mesmerized by the photoshop skills. How do they DO that?! Second of which being, I really needed something like this today. Now, not to get too personal, because spilling your guts is just as cute as it sounds, but, for the sake of explanation, I'll say this much: I've never considered myself attractive, glamorous, beautiful, or any other confidence-inspiring adjective. Self-confidence has remained elusive, even as I have become an adult (or at least, as close to an 'adult' as I'll ever be, I suppose....). I adore old movies, but sometimes you sit back and say, "Wow, I'll never be as sophisticated as Grace Kelly, as endearing as Audrey Hepburn, as svelte as Ava Gardner" and that feeling of dejection and despair only deepens as you're faced with the demands of impossible beauty passing you on the sidewalk every day. Here's the thing: I despise sweating in a room with people I don't know. It's a little too "chummy" for me, hence, I am not a patron of the gym. I'm Irish. I could hold my breath but I'll only turn blue, never tan. I'm 5'3", not even a potential contestant for "America's Next Top Model." I was raised in the South. We eat. We eat well. This combination of undeniable facts do not lend themselves to a particularly good self-image. However, at work the other day, someone donated a stack of In Style magazines. I took one home over the evening (there was an article on Clive Owen.....and, well.....there was an article on Clive Owen......) and flipped through. There was a short article on one young female celebrity (don't ask who, I've not the slightest idea who she is....) and the steps she endures each month to 'look her best.' Fake eyelashes, fake tan, fake nails, fake hair (extensions), etc. At the end of the article there was a list of prices. Overall, this little sweetheart spends over 2, ooo dollars a month. 2,000!!!!!!! Despite the obvious economic issues inherent, my question was this: how many people, who live a much less privileged life than she, could 2,ooo dollars ease the suffering and anxiety caused by day to day expenses? It's amazing to me that humanity will pay more for vanity than for kindness. Anyway, I apologize, this post has become a bit biting, I suppose, but I guess my point is this. We are taught to expect a certain physical image, the corporeal becomes more important than the metaphysical. Characters fall into disrepair and disuse while cuticles receive undivided attention. I did some thinking and had an epiphany: I'll never be beautiful, but I can be helpful. I'll never be glamorous, but I can be kind. I'll never be attractive, but I can comfort others. I'll never be 'perfect,' but I can be forgiving. So, I suppose it as George Washington once said, "Live so that when you are alone, you will be in good company."


(11:40 a.m.-Just read over it for the first time and realized-my spelling capabilities decrease exponentially every hour after 5:00 p.m. Hopefully all errors have been corrected. It's rather difficult to make a point when your spelling is atrocious......)

9 comments:

  1. You are so right Kelly! Thank you for this post. Just want you to know though, we in the Fox household think you are absolutely gorgeous inside and most definitely out! This post definitely proves both once again! =0) The commercial is amazing. It's so sad to think of the pressures kids these days have to face. It has definitely become much worse, especially since we were in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you've posted some fabulous things on your blog but this is the best one yet - ever, ever, ever. Your "epiphany" sentence needs to be put on a billboard somewhere. Where was this post and this video when I was on my "Individual Worth" crusade in Stake YW???

    And FYI, I know I'm your mama and all, but Emily had it right, you are beautiful on the outside and absolutely gorgeous on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first post of yours I have read. I couldn't agree more.
    Insightful, clever, true, modest, honest, non-conformist...
    I want to go back into your archives. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever read Love Walked In by Marissa de los Santos?
    If not, you should. You remind me of Cornelia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said! Have you every read the Maisie Dobbs books? I think you'd like them. The last one I was reading reminds me of this except in a little different context.

    I do have one problem with your post though, this was actually what I'd say to myself every time I saw you at church or Heather's "Wow, I'll never be as sophisticated as Kelly, as endearing as Kelly, as svelte as Kelly, as good of a photographer and I'll never be able to sew clothes like her." It's true you are gorgeous! Like the Fox household the Bikman household are fans too. Ben has told me several times that he wishes he had a brother or knew someone who is GOOD ENOUGH for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless your heart Cheryl! You are 10 times the photographer I could ever even hope to become! Those pictures of Samara?! ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!!!! Whenever I look at your blog, I always think, "Her hair is always so cute! I hope I look that good after having a baby!" (And you are incredibly fashionable, trust me!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Emily, you are too sweet! You're right, I sometimes worry about the pressure children Gabby and Emily's age will have to face. Like you said, the pressure now is so much more intense than when we were in school, even. Then I think, "Ah, Gabby and Emily are both feisty, they'll be able to take care of themselves!" Is the tricycle still a hit? Y'all will have to come back out sometime and she and Emily can roam the yard all they want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, tonight is my comment on the blogs I've looked at in the last week. Everyone decided to update at the same time!

    How many times have I watched this clip. Genius. I do have to agree with everyone else though.

    Photoshop is pretty amazing, but then it allows mediocre talent to look like REAL talent. I mean, you don't know much about photoshop & you don't really photoshop your pictures much at all, but look how AMAZING they always turn out!

    I love you, love you, love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly! Don't let society define beauty! I think you're beautiful and classy! :) Most importantly, you are intelligent, kind, and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete