Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Has anyone ever seen on a National Geographic episode or on the Travel Channel or the Discovery Channel a scene of Tibetan monks, sitting cross-legged with hands palm to palm, eyes closed, rocking slightly back and forth as they serenely chant their prayers?  Well, I have to say, sometimes I think they've got the right idea.  Of course, when I end up sitting cross-legged on the floor, muttering to myself with my eyes closed it is anything but a serenity exercise.  You know how on Seinfeld, George's dad would scream "Serenity NOW!" whenever he started getting irritated or stressed out?  Hmmm, yes, well.......I don't scream "Serenity NOW!"; instead I come home and watch some one or other of my favorite movies over and over. And over and over.  Basically I just leave it in the DVD player, grab something which includes a derivative of the cacao plant as a main ingredient and prepare to participate in a "cognitive disassociation" exercise.....Just ignore it all......However, I don't always watch one movie; sometimes I grab a stack of my favorite movies and skip to my favorite scenes.  The thing is, when I have a really bad day, I don't want some fluffy, "Malibu Barbie" style movie.  Don't give me something insubstantial and "cute."  I want something so intense, whether through the plot or through the philosophical issues it raises, that my mind is occupied by that rather than what I'm having to deal with.  So, I went on youtube and found a few of my favorite scenes. 

This is one of my favorites because it is everything I imagined as I read this scene in the book when I read it so many times as a child.  Sometimes I think I lived more in the world Lewis created than my own.


Before everyone freaks to no end, I own the EDITED version of this, okay?  Anyway, truth be told, I didn't like this movie at first.  Now.....?  It's in the DVD player right now.  I just like this scene because it is about living with the decisions we make, and our reasons for making those decisions.  How the decisions we made at one time we wouldn't have made now, or, even, if the same decision were still the only one to be made, our reasons would be different. (Plus the music is just great.)


As you can see, I really love this movie.  The cinematography is so artistic, to me; the music is great-very subtle, but it affects the scene so much.  So, although there is no 'profound' message in this scene, it makes my list simply because it is interesting. 


One of my favorite lines in the movie is in this scene. "Are you with me?" "To the death." Don't ask, I don't know.  I just like the way it is delivered.  Plus, I love the final sword fight between Peter and the White Witch.  Tilda Swinton makes an awesome White Witch; even as an adult her portrayal freaked the heck out of me, because it so adeptly ressurected all of the fear the character generated as I read the books as a child.


Again, edited, don't worry.  If I have to explain why this is a great scene, it'll never be understood.  "I am Maximus Decimus Meridius....Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance.  In this life or the next....."  Plus, one of my favorite lines comes immediately before this scene.  "We are but shadows and dust, Maximus. Shadows and dust!" I don't know that's just a great line to me.  (And I can tell now that I've watched this movie entirely too many times.)



I won't say anything about this next movie except three things: My family LOOOVVVEEESSS  this movie. Yes we do.  If you've never seen it (what?!)-please, watch it.  More than once.  If you have seen it, go watch it again.  And again.


This is also one of my favorite movies.  This is the point in the movie at which I begin to tear up, just a tad; according to whatever your definition of 'a tad' is, of course.  It is also a favorite book of mine (well, novella, as it is technically called.)  My copy has notes all over the margins, with lines and paragraphs underlined, and a plethora of stars indicating favorite passages.  I was actually talking to a professor once and something came up about this book; he said, and I quote, "I just don't really see why I should read a book about fishing."  Apparently the look on my face was nothing short of murderous, as he quickly amended his statement by saying, "Of course, I know it's not really about fishing."


So, there it is, my cure all for whatever life's got to bludgeon you with.  (And yes, I realize that is a grammatically incorrect sentence.)

2 comments:

  1. Great, great, great, great! Love all of the clips. And for all of the same reasons. Great movies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, blogs are for bludgeoning the willingly bludgeoned. Bludgeon away! I've seen most of these - now I must see them all. It's like when someone gives you a book and you haven't read it but you know you WILL love it because you respect the opinions of the giver. Thank you for the music recommendations. The above applies to that as well.

    ReplyDelete