It's not the whole "single's awareness" thing; it's just I've always hated public displays of affection and sentimentality. And pink. Pepto pink. Some pink is cool, but not the kind which leaves the jingle from the Pepto Bismol commercials playing on repeat in my head for the rest of the day. But, being single, you are often mistakenly perceived as an object of pity. People want to give you suggestions as to how to 'catch a man.' Well, personally, if he's running, I probably don't want that one after all. Unless it was Paul Newman. Or James Mcavoy. Or Johnny Depp. Or Mr. Knightley. Or Darcy. Or C.S. Lewis. Or Mike Rowe, then I wouldn't have to get a new driver's license. I'd even take Edmund Bertram if I didn't have to run too fast, even if he was an idiot. So, checking my e-mail the other night and stumbling across this article was like saying, "Oh, look, rolling your eyes too many times really does make them stick." I am now wall-eyed, my friends. But the title was irresistible. Dating Advice: 7 Mistakes Single Women Make. The inspiration came from the author of the article reading some random advice book. First of all, my take on advice books and survival shows is this: in case of fire Stop, Drop and Roll. Anything else, use common sense. When common sense isn't to be had, trust your instincts of self-preservation. If those don't kick in, it doesn't really matter what love-life advice you get, does it? The species won't last long in that line anyway. So, I'll address a few of the mistakes which amused me the most. I know everyone is simply thrilled.
1. We feel entitled.
Gottlieb: “Women try to be good friends to each other. We say, ‘You deserve this, you’re so great! You’re such a good catch! Any man would be lucky!’ [Men don’t say that to each other.] We are good catches, but we also are human and we’re not perfect and somebody’s going to have to put up with us for the rest of his life. And we forget. My dating coach said, write down all the reasons a guy would not want to date you.
3 things about this-A) I hope men don't say that to each other, that would just be, well, weird. B) a 'dating coach'?!!!! Since when has there been such a thing as a 'dating coach'? What, is that like a physical therapist for the socially inept? (And I can say that because I am socially inept, but I deal with it the traditional way-I have a well-stocked bookshelf.) C)"...write down all the reasons a guy would not want to date you." Great. Thanks. I know most of my flaws and suspect the rest. Thanks for reminding me. That would be one reason why I'm not dating. I know my limitations, and I have enough sense to realize it would be unfair to inflict them on some poor unwitting man. Which is why I don't date. Again. Thank you for that painful reminder. I'll just go back to my books now, thanks.
3. We’re judgmental.
Gottlieb: “The guys I interviewed for the book said women judge them so much. Women gave me 300 reasons they wouldn’t go on a second date with a guy, and men gave 3. When guys are ready for that stage of life, they find someone who is good enough that they’re totally in love with—but that person may not seem to the outside world to be as appealing in superficial ways—maybe she’s not as accomplished or funny as the last girl. Whatever he sees in her, he does. Guys don’t sit and micro-analyze a woman the way a woman would with a man. He knows she’s not as hot as the last girl he dated, but that’s okay. She’s hot enough.”
I wasn't even going to touch this one, but couldn't resist. First and foremost, the last two lines- I'm sorry, but what? So, it's okay that your wife isn't as hot as the girl before her?! Oh. No. Secondly, just simply being 'good enough'? Frankly, that's insulting. No wife should tell her husband that, and no husband should say that to his wife. That's like saying "Well, you're not what I'd hoped for, but I suppose I can settle." If that isn't romantic, I don't what is. Secondly, I'd like to know what those three reasons men gave are. A brain? Maturity? An average decible voice? A distaste for daisy dukes and tube tops? Sober? Sane? Responsible? Who knows......
7. We think he needs to share every interest.
Gottlieb: “We say, ‘I’m a writer, but he doesn’t read! I’m creative.’ But people can be creative in different ways, and the fact that he doesn’t read the same books that you do, well, maybe he wants someone who he can talk about the baseball game with but you’re not that person. The guy doesn’t have to be one-stop shopping. You’re not going to share every single interest, and that’s okay. The shared interest should be, Do we want the same things out of life? Do we both want to be married right now?”
Personally, I don't want whoever I date/marry to share all my interests. The reason I chose the hobbies I did was to get away from people. You take a camera, drive to the middle of nowhere and spend hours by myself. I read so that when I get tired of people I can simply shut the book and walk away. I play the piano so that I'm not required to talk, etc. etc. So, in the long run, it isn't sad that I have no reason to celebrate Valentine's Day-it's the best thing for everyone involved.
(and one more for the history people)
(Look up Valentine's Day 1929, Chicago, if it doesn't make sense-or just look at last year's post here.)







You crack me up, youngun.
ReplyDeleteNote to readers - she's talk - all talk.
My favorite? "Women give 300 reasons why they wouldn't go on a 2nd date with a guy and men give 3." Hmmm.
I agree with many of your thoughts. VD is a strange time. Odd societal expectations, cash outlay expectations, etc. However, it is about love. Not such a bad thing. You crack me up too.
ReplyDeletethis made me laugh.. really hard.
ReplyDeleteyay for being single on valentine's day! I hate relationships :)
I'm going to complain about blogger one more time-I don't know why it doesn't show up when you post it. It throws it in there (in the dated order of posts so way back where I've already looked & don't look again) days later. :(
ReplyDeleteLaughed-a lot. So much that I could say....It is so overly-hyped & commercialized though. After all, wouldn't you rather, "show your love every day. Why do you need just one day of the year that says 'How much I love you'?" ;)
Yeah, I'd like to know what the 3 reasons were too-although yours were just too funny-especially in this college town. Guess the girls were a little more interested in conversation than in the sports stats. Not that some wouldn't do that-just turn the sports off after 3 or 4 hours.
Speaking of Mr. K did you watch the last part of Emma yet?
Thanks for the comments, everyone! (I was a bit alarmed when there weren't any comments, I was afraid it had been taken too seriously...Either that or the reference to Al Capone just scared everyone.....) Yeah, I had to watch the final episode of Emma-did y'all? What did you think? Not Jeremy Northam, but still....Mr. Knightley. Thanks 'sistaaahhhh'-but, of course, you get Valentine's Day everyday, don't you? Good thing it isn't limited to one 24 hour period for you, eh? But, again, thanks everyone, it's nice to know there are others out there who can appreciate Valentine's Day in all the ways it can be appreciated. :)
ReplyDeleteThis post is fabulous on so many levels. It is very well written and I love all your counter points. I've always felt similarly about valentines day. When I was single it wasn't that I cared I was single it was so many of the things you mentioned. YOu hit the nail on the head. For us now it's an excuse to go out to dinner. My friend going up always celebrated it by going out to dinner as a family not celebrating it as romantic love, which I thought was nice.
ReplyDeleteThis year it falls on the first day of Chinese New YEar so it's completely overlooked here. So, happy year of the TIger!!