skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Author Quotes
- "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
- "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
- "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
- "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
- (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
- "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
- (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
- "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
- "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
- "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
- "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
- "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
- "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
- (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
- Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
- "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
- "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
- "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
- "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
- "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
- "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
- "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
- "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
- "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
- "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
- "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
- "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
- "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)
Leggings are not real clothes and water is not a food group
(Only re-posted for an hour or so, per a request,but I promise to take it back down immediately....I promise I'm not really this hateful........just experiencing culture shock.)
So I am now in the land of the Eternal Sun. Or, maybe not Eternal Sun, but definitely Land of Malibu Barbie, the Perpetual Cheerleader. It's like Dante's tenth circle of hell. I like it here, really, I do, but I'm definitely a fish out of water in some respects. I have yet to see a girl on campus who has what could legally pass as hips or thighs. There is an obsession with working out that is a complete enigma to me-I try to be healthy, but I figure if I can make it up two flights of stairs with a fifteen pound book bag without any vital organs rupturing I'm doing alright. I don't know if anyone actually eats here, but I do know they drink copious amounts of bottled water. That's a good thing, just kind of.....abnormal. All things revolve around the arrival of 'beach weather.' I left to go to the library the other day and saw someone getting out of her car, wrapped in a beach towel, apparently just having come from the tanning bed. It was 47 degrees outside. Frankly, coming from someone who couldn't tan in Africa, it just doesn't look natural for someone to have a tan in February. It looks like an escaped extra from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I expect to hear someone break into the refrain "Oompa, loompha, doom-pa-dee-doo..." at any moment. The concentration on appearance is much stronger here than where I came from. People dress up to go to Wal-Mart. I swear I think I saw Tammy Faye in the grocery section the other week.
The standard uniform on campus seems to be leggings, which if you ask me are nothing more than glorified panty-hose, fuzzy boots and a t-shirt. If it's cold enough that you need to wear faux-fur lined shoes, knock-off spandex tights aren't exactly going to keep you from suffering from Donner Party Syndrome. Before I moved in I had my retinas seared by an unfortunate run-in with a pro-leggings-er. My mom had gone in somewhere while I waited in the car, as she was only going to be a moment. Sitting in the car I looked around, killing time and listening to the radio. The parking space next to me was empty but the one next to it was occupied. The passenger door was open and someone sporting leggings was digging something out of the floorboard. The leggings were so tight and opaque that I was traumatized by the sight of neon orange underwear. If I had an identical twin I wouldn't need to know that much about her, much less a complete stranger. My mom got in the car and asked with some alarm "Why are your eyes bleeding....?!" Okay, maybe not really, but it was close.
Then there are the surfers. I have to admit, I've had to eat my words. I've always poked some fun at surfers and jocks, but then again, no one has really been spared my defensive sarcasm. It's kind of like one of Oscar Wilde's characters says, "'You would sacrifice anyone for the sake of an epigram.' 'The world goes to the altar of its own accord.'" Anyway, some of them may be dumb, yes. Shallow, probably. But they still look good. Very good, as a matter of fact. However, you can tell their mothers no longer dress them. Take, for instance, the guy who passed by the desk where I was sitting in the library the other day. Either he had no idea that what he was wearing insulted the senses, or he just hasn't done laundry in a month. He was sporting a blue, teal and purple plaid oxford shirt and a black and white vertical striped sweater. His mother would be horrified to see him in public, I dare say. Then my opinion of surfers was justified when, due to the lovely weather we had on Saturday, my dad and I drove down to the beach for an hour or so. We parked in the public parking on the side of the street, right in front of a house where two young men with shaggy hair and surfer shorts (I was in jeans, a thermal shirt and a light coat) were sitting in the driveway in indoor rocking chairs with a carved wooden table obviously also meant for indoor use placed before them with a six-pack on it, drinking beer. It was 1:30 in the afternoon. We asked if it was alright to park where we had parked and one of them gave us an unsteady thumbs up and replied "'S all good." We hoped he was right.
Perhaps I've just become lazy, perhaps I've just capitulated, perhaps (most likely) I just know my own limitations. I know what I can and can't wear-I might strike it lucky and pull off Audrey Hepburn once in a blue moon, but I'm never gonna be able to manage Heidi Klum. Looking around I often think of that scene in "An American in Paris" when the cool blonde comes out in this gorgeous evening gown and Gene Kelley says, "Wow. That's quite a dress you're almost wearing. What keeps it up?" "Modesty." If it requires duct tape being applied anywhere except the busted water pipe, it just ain't happening. Which is why, when I was getting ready to leave and a friend said, "You know, statistics show that most people who go to grad school meet their spouses there" I thought, "Sure thing. Let me just schedule that cosmetic surgery and personality transplant and we'll be good to go." Well, if this is what I've got to compete with, I haven't got the chance of an ice-cube in hell. Is it upsetting? Occasionally. But, my consolation is this: when I get this degree and get a job that will get me to Europe, everybody will be just as short and pasty white as me. Solidarity, my friends. Solidarity. Long live Ireland! Do me a favor and eat a Thin Mint for me, will you?
Now, now... different not deficient. It takes all kinds to make this wacky world go 'round. Aren't you glad you don't live in a place where everyone must wear the same thing all the time as in China when I was young one? Or in a place where women have to cover every square inch of their bodies except a small window screen for their eyes and cannot go outside unless accompanied by their father, brother or husband?
ReplyDeleteYou know, everyone tries to be a rugged individual - to the point of wearing essentially the same outfit. What kind of paradox is that? My younger son wears "skinny leg" jeans now, can't live without them. The same skinny leg jeans that he used to call "girl pants" before it was his style. Go figure.
I am not sure if there is anything timeless anymore, but I am sure that things just keep coming back around. Do you think when you are an older person that the tights-and-mucklucks look will return?
Another interesting statistic is that most people who enter grad school already married - get divorced. We were in the fortunate minority. Statistics are for grouping the masses. You ARE a rugged individual. Stay that way. Good things in store.
OK, the last three sentences above sound like a bad fortune cookie. Sorry about that!
ReplyDeleteI will one up you and eat a Mint Slice (http://awaitingwinter.blogspot.com/2009/10/arnotts-mint-slices.html) for you, which is way better than a thin mint. And now I am kicking myself for not following the prompting to buy a bag when I was at the store today. Ben leaves for an interview in the states early tomorrow and I could have had him mail you a bag had I purchased it.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry about the leggings incident. That is not something you should have to see nor you should have to smell those surfers. Look at them, yes! You have more than an ice-cube chance in hell with anyone who is worth your time. I can imagine being around people who tan all winter and who are so image conscious would be exhausting. I guarantee you look better than most of them now and will most certainly still look better 20 years from now. And I can't wait for your Europe trip.
That'll do pig. (Don't take this post back off - I loved it. Remember the chick we saw in the Best Buy when I was down there? Whoaaa.)
ReplyDeleteHateful!?
ReplyDeletePlease.
You have an honest and insightful look at your surroundings. Funny, clear, self-deprecating, cool. When you took this post down I felt really guilty for jumping in with a dark comment and thought maybe you thought I was judging. If so, sorry. Yikes.
Oh no! So sorry, Tim. No, it was just that I went back and read it the next day and thought, "Yowch, I need to tone down the sarcasm a bit." I have a tendency to let it run away with me sometimes, even if I don't really mean it all. Bad habit of mine-sometimes I think kicking the habit of smoking has got to be easier than kicking the habit of sarcasm. So, no, sorry, it totally wasn't you; it's part of the whole 'self-improvement' thing that I try for about two days and then give up on.... :) Actually I like the 'fortune cookie' it was very helpful.
ReplyDeleteCheryl! You're coming back to the states?! Hooray!!!! Tell Ben he needs to come back here and look for a job so that Samara and Emily can hang out and little Lizzie can come to the next Barbie Princess Party! I'll totally think of you when I eat my Thin Mints. I attempted to make some chocolate chocolate chip cookies today, but you could honestly give somebody a concussion with the things, so I think I'll just hang in there till you can come share some Girl Scout cookies with me.
And mother-I expect you to look like that next time you come to visit and we make a run to the Best Buy. :)
ReplyDelete