Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving

This is one of my favorite portraits of Lincoln. It was taken by Alexander Gardner, and there is something about it that just seems different than any of his other portraits as president. There is something about his expression that seems much more human, less posed; you can see a tiredness, but also kindness, compassion, humor, you can tell he has experienced trials, but has not become embittered. 

That is why it seems so fitting that, in 1863, Lincoln was the president to proclaim Thanksgiving a national holiday. The United States was in the middle of the only civil war it would ever (hopefully) experience. Americans were killing each other by the thousands (7,000 died in the first twenty minutes of the battle at Antietam), others were dying from the disease and deprivation engendered by war. His eleven year old son, Willie, had been a victim, probably of typhoid fever, only the year before.  His wife, who was often a source of great concern for Lincoln, was so distraught at the death of the boy that it was feared she was finally losing her sanity. The country had divided immediately upon his election, and his Emancipation Proclamation, issued in January of that year, further divided sentiments and alienated even many Northerners. In short, he had many trials, both personal and public. Yet, even in the midst of all of this, he chose to acknowledge the blessings of God, both on himself and his country. This, to me, is what the true idea of Thanksgiving is-kind of like Jeffrey R. Holland writes at the end of Shepherd's, Why This Jubilee? (one of the most fabulous books ever written. Seriously. Anyway...). Speaking of Simeon, who met Mary and Joseph in the temple as they were going to offer a sacrifice of doves (the substitute allowed for those who were too poor to afford a lamb, which tells you of the circumstances in which Mary and Joseph found themselves as they became not only first time parents, but parents to the savior of all mankind-it makes you stop and think about giving thanks, trials, blessings and the true meaning of all of it) after the birth of Jesus. Elder Holland writes that, "not in the absence of hard days and long years but because of them..." that Simeon was able to look upon the Christ child and rejoice.  I particularly love that phrase. Hard days can become long years, there is no denying that. But throughout even those hard years (or even those difficult first months of living away from home for the first time) are moments which can be seen glimpses of Heavenly Father's love for us. 
Einstein once said that there are two ways to look at the world, one is that nothing is a miracle, the other is that everything is a miracle. It makes me think of Emerson's essay on nature; he discusses how we really take the beauty of it for granted because it is always visible to us. Yet, he writes, "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown!" Life is hard, but it is harder when we refuse to acknowledge the blessings we do have, even if we think they aren't enough.
If everything is a miracle, as Einstein suggests, then that includes trials. I'm not speaking from a lofty point of success when I say this, because I still would rather avoid difficult things if at all humanly possible. But, in the past few months I have seen that trials are interesting things-they aren't fun but they force us to do things we didn't think we could. It is like one of the general authorities said, when relating the story of Abraham and Isaac; Abraham was asked to do the unthinkable-to sacrifice his beloved son, the child he had been promised after years of struggle, the child through whom he had been promised multitudes of posterity. I can only imagine how I would have responded, after all, it probably seemed as if the Lord were reneging on His promises, something we've been taught is impossible if we fulfill our end of the bargain, which, I dare say, Abraham was doing. But, he explained, the Lord knew all along what Abraham would do, so why was he made to endure such an agonizing experience? Because Abraham needed to learn something about Abraham. C.S. Lewis wrote that within each of us is the potential to become gods and goddesses. But to see that potential, we must learn things about ourselves that we didn't think were possible. And often, the only way to do that is through trials. He also wrote (speaking from vast personal experience), "Pain hurts, but you you learn." It is as simple and as difficult as that. 
So, even though it doesn't seem natural (and actually, I don't think it is natural, to be honest. That is why I'm still having difficulties learning this particular lesson...), even the hard things are signs that Heavenly Father wants what is best for us. I remember one particularly hard day I was thinking things over, wondering what I was doing wrong that made it necessary for me to have to learn so many things the hard way. Why I was so stubborn that I continually set myself up for having to learn lessons in the most difficult manner. Then I had the thought-there is no easy way to learn some things. As funny as it sounds, that little epiphany has made a big difference. Because Heavenly Father loves us, He wants us to see ourselves as He sees us, to see what we have the potential to do and become. Often, the only way to show us, to teach us what we have within ourselves, that which He values the most in us, we have to learn hard lessons. 
But, it is like Elder Holland writes, "'You can't separate Bethlehem from Gethsemane or the hasty flight into Egypt from the slow journey to the summit of Calvary. It's of one piece. It is a single plan. It considers 'the fall and rising again of many in Israel,' but always in that order. Christmas is joyful not because it is a season or decade or lifetime without pain and privation, but precisely because life does hold those moments for us. And that baby, my son, my own beloved and Only Begotten Son in the flesh, born 'away in a manger, [with] no crib for his bed,' makes all the difference in the world, all the difference in time and eternity, all the difference everywhere, worlds without number, a lot farther than your eye can see.'"    
That is why I think Lincoln was the perfect man to set aside a day of thanksgiving. He knew well of the 'pain and privations' life can hold for us. Yet, he also knew of the love of Heavenly Father, blessing us both with the abundance of wonderful things in this life as well as the trials which force us to grow in ways we never thought possible. So, as I've gotten older I've come to love Thanksgiving and Christmas for very different reasons than when I was young. I apologize for the preachiness of this post, but Thanksgiving, this year in particular, has come to hold a place in my heart, and a meaning that doesn't have much to do with the food, or even the history. (I know, right? Kind of shocking, isn't it?) I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, with lots of love, friendship and good food, and that the Christmas season will be filled with more of the same. 

(P.S.-I don't know why, but for some reason, blogspot is being a bit difficult and will not let me leave comments. It is very frustrating. But I'm grateful, even for that trial....sort of....but it is still irritating. So I'm sorry I haven't been leaving comments (I've tried, believe me), but thanks everyone for your kind comments, and I do enjoy reading your blogs. Maybe one of these days blogspot will decide to let me leave that in a comment.....) 

3 comments:

  1. So well said. This feels very stream-of-consciousness but also very thougtful. At the point where we are the most worn out, at our most desperate, it is the exact right time to be thankful.

    This Thanksgiving, when someone very close to me finds herself very near the end of her life, she has given me the strength to be grateful. Ordinarily I would be a basket case. It is too new, too raw to write much about it now, but it is her strength and dignity that gave me the insight to be appreciative for her; not to be angry at her illness, but grateful for her grace and humor and intelligence and how she has made my life richer.

    Your words found me at just the right time. Thanks. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you typing this the other night when you were here & scrolled through the blogs specifically to find your new post. They're always fabulous. Well said-you always have the perfect way of writing these things.

    The older I've gotten and as I've looked at myself before different trials and the person I become by the end I've grown increasingly grateful for them. It is weird to think of trials as blessings, but they definitely humble you, bringing you to rely on the Lord at look to Him for the peace that He came into this world to bring. And through the trials and learning to draw closer to Him and sometimes having to submit to it we do become more of the person He knows we can be.

    I had my f/u appointment at the neurologist today for the hand issues (which verdict ended up being carpal tunnel)and saw a lady carrying her young son out that had multiple apparent issues. There has not been a time that I've been in there during all of this that I have not left being grateful that the problem I had was not worse than it was, that my children are healthy & (mostly) happy :), and that they were born healthy. I always count that blessing but there are times that hit me like a ton of bricks that what I have going on is not that bad. Soooo, one of the lessons that I have to learn over and over again is patience and long-suffering. And I'm with you on that picture of Abraham Lincoln & just the man himself. He seems one that could epitomize that patience and long-suffering and so many other qualities that so many of us have to learn through, just as he did, trials and hardships. I wonder if his stepmother had a lot to do with his outlook. She stayed to make a home for the poor motherless children. Very selfless of her.

    Okay, I'm starting to ramble. Anyway, thanks for the great post! Love you! And *I'm* *ESPECIALLY* grateful that I got to see my sister for Thanksgiving (& that I got to spend time with you this visit).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely. Thank you so much for sharing. I thought for sure I'd learned all my lessons by moving across the world to Singapore and that moving "home" would be so easy. But it wasn't and isn't and I find myself with different challenges. You are right--there is no easy way to learn lessons.

    ReplyDelete