skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Author Quotes
- "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
- "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
- "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
- "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
- (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
- "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
- (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
- "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
- "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
- "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
- "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
- "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
- "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
- (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
- Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
- "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
- "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
- "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
- "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
- "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
- "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
- "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
- "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
- "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
- "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
- "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
- "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
- "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)
So I have finally decided to join the technological age. Now, this may seem incongruous, considering my age, but, I'm a History major, so I claim a valid excuse for living in the dark ages of the past. I'm paying considerable amounts of money to do just that. There is a plethora of reasons for beginning this little write-up. For one, I am a terrible journal-keeper. I always think if I buy a new one, it will give me incentive to write in it. Needless to say, this would fall directly under the category of "exercise in futility." I have massive (or at least inordinate) amounts of journals with one or two entries, which I then get sick to tears of looking at, shove it at the back of a bookshelf (uttering a few unmentionable words), forget about, and eventually end up buying another one, repeating the vicious, self-perpetuating cycle. The only thing consistent about my journal-keeping is my inconsistency. Secondly, I tend to lose track of people (including myself, occasionally), so this is another attempt to correct a character flaw. I suppos
e it is a bit like cosmetic surgery for socially inept people, Botox for social wrinkles. Thirdly, I know my life is just so excessively interesting, there are hordes of desperately, mind-numbingly bored people simply begging for the chance to live vicariously through someone as glamorous and interesting as myself (note: sarcasm may be used from time to time, so if you are highly sensitive, it may be best to abandon this at once).
However, the exciting does occasionally happen to me, although I think it generally occurs due to a case of mistaken identity or incorrectly addressed mail being delivered by the cosmic version of the U.S. Postal Service. In this case, it is not my excitement, per se, but guilt by association. As of October 3 I became an aunt for the second time. Heather had an 8 lb. 4 oz. baby boy, Jonathan Scott by name. Both mother and baby are fine, and he's lucky enough to have two mothers, even if one is only three feet tall and can't reach the kitchen counter yet. (But, in her case, it is always "Where there's a will there's a way," and "Mind over matter." The only thing is, trying to keep up with/outwit one very determined (i.e. "strong-willed," the euphemism which all the little Dr. Phil's of the world have now discarded the offensive appellation "hard-headed" for) three-year old, the rest of us have neither will nor mind left. Generals learned the art of a war of attrition from three-year olds.) Emily will be three on the 19th of this month, and, I have been informed, is having a "George" party. Translation, everything is going to be decked out in School-Bus yellow and plastered with lovable likenesses of the endearing little fictional primate, Curious George himself. For me, that means I'll have "We All Live in a Yellow Submarine" mentally playing on constant repeat for a week. The things you do for short people when they look at you and say "Peeeaaase?"
Ah, well, childhood is fleeting, let them enjoy it while they don't know any different.
As for me, I'm still drudging away at the books, hopefully to escape in May. I'm still working at the public library/free babysitting/afterschool/shrink services. I love my job, but I think after this I could hang out my shingle. I've learned entirely more than I ever wanted to know about the ailments inherent in old age. (Sometimes I think the James Deans of the world got off easy.) But, everything is good. Besides, I have to work to have money to support my camera habit. You're always encouraged to have hobbies, "It's healthy," they all say, "It relieves stress." The only thing they don't tell you is that there is an inbuilt stress factor of monetary origins. Hobbies turn into economically draining money-pits. I sometimes feel like I should just have them direct deposit my check at the ASAP camera store, instead of forcing the (especially these days) harried banks to act as a fleeting middle-man. So, in order to justify my addiction, I have posted a few examples of the pitifully lacking results of my efforts. Its healthy, yeah. In the top photo, I found myself standing on the decrepit, probably vermin infested, safety hazard front porch of a derelict old house in silk pajama bottoms at 6 a.m. in January. Don't ask why I was still in pajama bottoms, it was an impromptu photo-shoot. Once you get into it, you find your mind becomes warped and you do things like bolt out of the house at 6 a.m. in the middle of winter because, *gasp!* the light might change before you get there (wherever "there" is) and the shot is ruined. Healthy, right. The middle photo was taken in a claustrophia-inducing fruit cellar of a historic house on Antelope Island, Utah. Healthy, right. (I'm starting to see a disturbing pattern). The bottom one was remarkably uneventful, Tryon Palace gardens. I know, suddenly it seems rather boring, doesn't it? So, my advice to the youth of the world? Don't get a hobby. They are time-consuming, mind-warping, money-draining ventures. Sit at home and watch re-runs of "Happy Days" instead. If you are tempted to do something productive, flip to QVC and tele-shop until you max out the credit card.
Alright, I believe that is enough for the first dose. Wouldn't want to reveal all of the gripping details at once, its bad marketing.

Kelly my dear you are an AMAZING writer & photographer. I’m honored to have you taking our pictures and to have you as my friend. Maybe that should be in the other order. Love you none the less. I’m so very proud of you for getting a blog. Keep up the good work. You life and way of thinking is very interesting. I know I enjoy reading it.
ReplyDeleteYou should definitely get a flickr account. :) Mine is http://www.flickr.com/photos/hannia_bejarano/
ReplyDeleteAs for our blog, we have our own World Tour going on. :)
KELLY! I'm so happy you decided to get a blog! I'm sure things are going well!
ReplyDeleteYay you have joined the dark side!! He he!!! =0) Love your pictures, they are amazing!!! Congratulations on your new nephew too!!! He is a cutie!
ReplyDeleteI adore you. I'm completely inspired....though I don't know what I'm inspired about... But very inspired. :)
ReplyDeleteKelly!!!!! I love you and miss you so much! I'm so glad you found me!~
ReplyDelete