;csllFPLrovfdpg[bkljlm oyyup0tink9889y8r89 yifkjvgihioioiy yu uu6ooo oouyuuuyuuuiuoyuyuuuyu
Emily assisted me in writing this post. I think I may have discovered the next Harper Lee, Winner of the Nobel for Literature.
Well, I have a confession. I have fought, all my life (and apparently in vain) to prevail against the stereotypical "Southern" behaviour (or at least the less admirable facets of its composite). Alas, "Nature vs. Nurture?" Are rednecks born, or are they made? Apparently, they are born and simply compounded upon. Now, give this said Southern History major individual a camera, a beautiful fall day, and a re-enactment of the failure which still rankles inhabitants of the vast lands south of the Mason-Dixon line, and you have Frankenstein's monster, released upon the unsuspecting world. Yes, my friends, I not only "ran across," I sought out a re-enactment today. A small place, called Fort Branch, near Hamilton, has a yearly re-enactment of a battle which was waged there. Maybe it is just me, an anomaly among the 'typical' Southerner, but it does seem a bit unhealthy that there is a fascination with re-creating the Pyhrric victories of something (a civil war) which nearly e
very other country on the face of the earth struggles to forget and move away from. And we still lose the war...every time. Let's continually underscore that fact "welostwelostwelostwelostwelost." Just give me a paper-cut and pour lemon juice on it. It is a good thing, however, that we did lose. Can you imagine "Dueling Banjos" being the new national anthem? (I can say that because I'm southern. It's kind of a "Bless your heart...." thing.)
I have to admit, this was ridiculously fun. They had the two camps set up, furnished with tents, which housed cots covered with handmade quilts, tin utensils, camp-stools, tallow candles, etc. There was even a "calvary." Kid you not. These people take their fun very seriously. I wandered around for nearly three and a half hours, snapping like a mad-man. The most "excitement" occurred when I inadvertently made some new "friends." I was wandering around, trying to catch the re-enactors at ease, un-posed, and wandered into one area of the "Confederate" side of camp. I incorrectly assumed that everyone would be ready for wanderers such as myself, but, quite regrettably, I was wroooooong. I wandered into one camp area, and was stunned into a state of utmost alarm by the shriek "LADY IN CAMP!!!!!!" in a tone which could suitably be followed by a revolving red light and a shrill siren blaring "ah-wuhhaahh, ah-wuhhaahh." I don't know who was the most surprised, them or me ("And we have a tie!"). Apparently, I'd caught them in the midst of their morning toilet (a.k.a-"getting ready," not...well, you know...something else...). How do you gracefully get out of a situation like that? Answer: you don't. You suck it up, ask permission to snap a few shots (when they get ready), and run like a jack-rabbit. I posted a couple or three examples of the, no exaggeration, three hundred, shots I took (heaven bless digital). The child in the top, "Curtis," has been the salvation of my parents' grandchildren from my side. I like children, love them, really, but after the summer reading program ends at work each year, I am thoroughly convinced they belong behind a strong plexiglass wall. Like monkeys at the zoo. We are protected from them, and they are protected from us. It is win-win. So, in the hypothetical situation that I hypothetically have hypothetical children, they are replaced at the end of those three months by hypothetical goldfish. Twenty-five cents and you feed them once a week. However, Curtis saved my hypothetical children. Curtis was the cutest freakin' dang thing I have ever seen. I was seriously considering beginning my kidnapping career, he was that cute. Then there were the "sentries" on the bridge who demanded a password. A password, which I was informed, began with "V" and sounded like "Virginia." Imagine my shock when my first guess, "Virginia," proved to be correct. That college education is proving to be worth every penny. I have to say, I loved this one, with the back-lighting and everything. The weather was absolutely beautiful today, and the lighting was (almost) perfect. I know it sound s a bit unbalanced to get so excited over light particles, but lighting can make or break the best of shots; so, good lighting is always a blessing. Anyway, if these samples are well-received, I might post some more, but right now, it is late, and you get serious jet-lag with time travel.




Ha ha ha!! So how many shots did you get after they finished with their "toilet" time? Ha ha ha!!! That is hilarious!! The pictures are awesome by the way!!
ReplyDeleteThese are absolutely beautiful. Man I wish I had about an ounce of your talent! At least I will be able to know someone famous one day. Ill be walking around a gallery (one of my favorite past times) and see one or your shots. It will be like the movie a lot like love only without the nakedness. Maybe the toilet incident could substitute. haha
ReplyDelete