So, I was tagged for the photo thing (a long time ago, but among the distractions of things such as exams, visiting family, and work, I haven't had time to focus on priorities, like my blog. Ah, excuses, excuses.....); I didn't like the photo in the fourth folder (I just need to delete that whole folder anyway...), so I chose one I did like. I know it is cheating in the most low manner, but I think we have already established the fact that my character is hopelessly, irretrievably flawed, so we'll move on and do the best we can with what we have to work with....Anyway, photo-I went with my grandfather and other World War II veterans on a trip to D.C. to visit the WWII memorial. I was the "chaperone" for a group of men, of whom the youngest was 80-plus; at first I scoffed at the idea that they needed a chaperone, but after sitting at the back of the bus as they reminisced about their days in the service, I was brought to the conclusion that perhaps the organizers were not as out of touch with reality as I at first assumed. The good news is, our capital still stands. While we were there we visited the other memorials; I had never seen the Vietnam memorial (that I remembered, anyway, which means it very possibly could have happened and trickled straight through the sieve which is euphemistically called my "memory.") It was quite an experience. Although there were crowds of tourists milling about, and a busy road ran by in close proximity, as you rounded the curve which led up to the memorial, all the sounds became muted, and everyone instinctively began to talk in near-whispers. I was walking down the Wall, looking at all the names, of all these lives that were forfeited, and I have to admit, my eyes did water a bit. No matter your political stance or opinion on anything, I think it would be impossible to be presented with a palpable form of lives given for something other than themselves, to view something such as this which was an entirely separate entity from the maelstrom which is politics, something which exists entirely as a reminder of the voluntary immolation of some on the behalf of the whole, and walk away unaffected. If you can, it is as in King Lear, "you are men of stones." (5.3.259-sorry, all my term-paper training demands that I cite it, just for future reference...). Alas, I digress terribly...the photo. I was walking along, and although there were many small wreaths and such, propped at various points along the Wall, this one item just caught my attention, for some reason. I suppose amidst the larger, more elaborate things, the simplicity of this one was just very poignant. I'm not sure if it will be too small to read, in the post, but it says that this man asked the girl he loved to marry him; she agreed, the day after she got his letter, he was killed in Vietnam. I don't know, it just brings everything down to a much more personal, individual, human level. So, I'm sure that is much more of an explanation than anyone ever wanted, but there it is.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
So, I was tagged for the photo thing (a long time ago, but among the distractions of things such as exams, visiting family, and work, I haven't had time to focus on priorities, like my blog. Ah, excuses, excuses.....); I didn't like the photo in the fourth folder (I just need to delete that whole folder anyway...), so I chose one I did like. I know it is cheating in the most low manner, but I think we have already established the fact that my character is hopelessly, irretrievably flawed, so we'll move on and do the best we can with what we have to work with....Anyway, photo-I went with my grandfather and other World War II veterans on a trip to D.C. to visit the WWII memorial. I was the "chaperone" for a group of men, of whom the youngest was 80-plus; at first I scoffed at the idea that they needed a chaperone, but after sitting at the back of the bus as they reminisced about their days in the service, I was brought to the conclusion that perhaps the organizers were not as out of touch with reality as I at first assumed. The good news is, our capital still stands. While we were there we visited the other memorials; I had never seen the Vietnam memorial (that I remembered, anyway, which means it very possibly could have happened and trickled straight through the sieve which is euphemistically called my "memory.") It was quite an experience. Although there were crowds of tourists milling about, and a busy road ran by in close proximity, as you rounded the curve which led up to the memorial, all the sounds became muted, and everyone instinctively began to talk in near-whispers. I was walking down the Wall, looking at all the names, of all these lives that were forfeited, and I have to admit, my eyes did water a bit. No matter your political stance or opinion on anything, I think it would be impossible to be presented with a palpable form of lives given for something other than themselves, to view something such as this which was an entirely separate entity from the maelstrom which is politics, something which exists entirely as a reminder of the voluntary immolation of some on the behalf of the whole, and walk away unaffected. If you can, it is as in King Lear, "you are men of stones." (5.3.259-sorry, all my term-paper training demands that I cite it, just for future reference...). Alas, I digress terribly...the photo. I was walking along, and although there were many small wreaths and such, propped at various points along the Wall, this one item just caught my attention, for some reason. I suppose amidst the larger, more elaborate things, the simplicity of this one was just very poignant. I'm not sure if it will be too small to read, in the post, but it says that this man asked the girl he loved to marry him; she agreed, the day after she got his letter, he was killed in Vietnam. I don't know, it just brings everything down to a much more personal, individual, human level. So, I'm sure that is much more of an explanation than anyone ever wanted, but there it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




With tears in my eyes I completely agree. Thank you for capturing such a beautiful moment and sharing it. I’m glad you broke the rule and cheated although I'm sure the other picture was fabulous. Love you lady.
ReplyDelete