Hello and Happy New Year! Now, this greeting may seem completely incongruous juxtaposed against the photo to the left, and may appear to hover in perilously close proximity to the uncomfortabl
e division between sincerity and downright sarcasm, but, fortunately in this case, it has remained securely on the side of sincerity. (I decided to attempt to stem the tide of sarcasm which occasionally escapes without my consent; and, to aid me in, as Harper Lee states in To Kill A Mockingbird, "the fruitless effort to teach me group dynamics..." or, in other words, a step towards "self-improvement," which is my pitiful excuse of a "New Year's resolution," I have made a few changes in the upper echelons of the sarcasm border patrol. Yes, 'a,' I only made one; there's no need to be a glutton when so many others are in much more dire need of self-constructive lists, as they believe in the power of self-improvement. The remainder of the disillusioned, sarcastic population, who have come to fully appreciate, in all its glory, the phrase "exercise in futility" (of which I have recently learned, to my surprise, I have been named president-elect; I didn't even put in a bid. Go figure. Anyway....) have come to the liberating conclusion that A) I'm still going to eat whatever I want B)I'm not going to make it to the gym any more frequently than I did last year-which was a grand total of...let's see...365 days divided by 5 days each week plus 1 Saturday a month....simplify the fractions....which is....hmmm......zero. (And everyone thought I wasn't good at math.) C) Denying me my Constitutional right to sarcasm would be as cruel as trying to give a Persian cat a bad 80's perm. However, I have recently made the heartbreaking decision that I must put forth a Herculean effort to monitor the sarcasm, as Emily is getting to a very interesting cognitive stage in which she hears and repeats everything.......Of course, this is somewhat akin to attempting to harness the powers of Niagara Falls with a kitchen colander. But, for the sake of future generations, I must be willing to make sacrifices. (I'm such a good, self-sacrificing aunt, aren't I?) 
Yet, all came to a head today (I'm so proud of myself, I clung to my resolution five whole days! That is at least 4 1/2 days longer than last year! "One small step for man, one great leap for mankind!") at work, when someone turned in The Purpose Driven Life. Suddenly, my senses were restored. The Purpose Driven Life, the book I bought along with Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, neither of which I ever cracked the cover. I'm willing to bet, though, that finishing, nay, opening "self-improvement" tomes you have invested in, which falls in the category of "finishing what you start" or "completing tasks you've set for yourself" are mentioned somewhere in both of them...I just wouldn't know where, since I've never seen the inside of either. I had the beautiful epiphany, standing there, holding this remarkable (or so I'm told) book, that I have not the wherewithal to hold to serious New Year's resolutions which are suddenly going to catapult me into the upper strata of the hierarchy of overachievers who's life-long ambition since the age of three has been to become a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. So, I have to admit that, yes, The Purpose Driven Life, helped clarify and simplify my life. Considerably. 
We are told so often that a life lived without risks is a life not fully realized or appreciated, that we need to be assertive and let nothing stand in the way of what we set out to accomplish, that we should live on two hours of sleep a night in order to be able to fit in all that a "well-rounded" person should accomplish in a given day. I work best on a good ten hours of sleep, my personality could arguably be described as 'diffident,' taking life-changing risks is not my forte. I made the mistake of being adventurous with food and trying frog-legs for the first time at a chain Mexic
an restaurant in Washington, D.C; (just as one would assume from that short description of events, things did not turn out well.) That was both the birth and death of my foray into the world of 'trying new things.' (I know, in retrospect, I probably should have started smaller....but, retrospect maintains the distinct advantage of being completely useless, as there is nothing you can act upon at that point...) Which is why I adore a website a friend and fellow sarcastrian kindly introduced me to-http://www.despair.com/viewall.html-Inexplicably, this is just my form of motivation. It is devoted to acerbic, sarcastic humor; has the advent of the internet provided anything more wonderful, I might ask? (Rhetorically, of course.) Just by way of further illustration, I have provided a few of my personal favorites.
I have discovered, then, that for some of the more unfortunates of the populace, "self-realization" and "self-improvement," both of which have gained hordes of loyal followers since Dr. Phil first aired, are not only impossible for them, but completely irreconcilable. For people like us, our "full potential," the very definition of "self-realization" could not possibly be reached without sarcasm. The very thought is unthinkable. Yet, "self-improvement" would demand that we abandon self-deprecation, irony and misanthropy, the greatest weapons in the sarcastic arsenal. One might just as well take a life-long vow of silence. So, much to my consternation, I have realized that I must choose. Not that it's much of a choice, mind you.
So, thus is written the epitaph of a New Year's resolution. Anyway, I
console myself with the thought that, most likely, Emily's chances of having missed the sarcasm gene are slim to none anyway. Maybe I could volunteer my services, with the accompanying new-found knowledge, at a local self-help group....




I just can't imagine who would introduce you to such a website. tsk, tsk.
ReplyDeleteThe sarcasm torch has been passed (and might I add, it has served you well in college, little grasshopper).
So your book recommendation for some reason reminded me of "Everything is illuminated" Have you seen it/read it?
ReplyDeleteYou need to make the book posts a part of your regular blog, not just a side bar ;) That way we can comment!
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteGreat talking to you today. I've got this bookmarked and signed up as a follower. Just read the author quotes so far - and loved them. Will read the rest soon.
Jill