Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, October 25, 2009

(Believe it or not, this is an actual website, giving advice to "career clowns" on how to deal with petrified children. My advice? don't become a clown. There's something decidedly off-putting about clowns.)

I have recently returned from my first "official" road trip. I believe I can understand now why some people are drawn to a more itinerant lifestyle. If it were for the lack of a dental or health plan, I just might join the circus....or, you know, the creepy circus people.....I still can't bring myself to watch lovable Jimmy Stewart as a creepy circus clown in "The Greatest Show on Earth," even if it is a classic. Clowns have just always freaked me out, so imagine my utter horror when I was introduced to the idea of a film entitled "It." Never seen it (no pun intended), never intend to. Anyway, speaking of creepy movies I've never had an inclination to watch (because we were, weren't we), the initial stages of the road trip boded ill. Not the drive, that was fine, fun, adventurous. It was my first view of the hotel upon the midnight arrival. Being a poor, recently graduated, part time librarian, I couldn't afford the Ritz; the budget wasn't even a 'shoestring' one....more along the lines of velcro. However, stepping off the elevator and onto the set of "The Shining," monetary concerns suddenly became irrelevant. Ever seen a still of that shot of the two creepy twins looking down the hallway....yep, I've lived that hallway, my friends. My only consoling thought was, "It'll all look better in the morning. Sunshine works miracles...." Which led to the song "The sun'll come out tomorrow! Tomorrow! Bet your bottom dollar....." playing on repeat in my head for the rest of the night...Which led to long repressed traumatic memories of being forced to watch "Annie" in the second grade resurfacing. I've never recovered from that incident. Anyway, the rest of the trip proceeded wonderfully. So, here are a few pictures, hope they prove worth braving meeting Jack Nicholson.

5 comments:

  1. I'm just glad I didn't know about the motel until after you got back.

    Gorgeous, beautiful, wish you were her pictures.

    But now you can't work for Southern Living magazine - these were in MARYLAND!

    I guess it can even be pretty north of the Mason Dixon line, huh.

    You have such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh good memories. the cheery hotel, circus people.
    these pictures are beautiful! gloria- we did see some confederate flags.. maybe that counts for something?
    ha don't hate on the north. it's beautiful there too :)
    and yes kelly, you do have such a talent. even if you don't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, two Stephen King references in one post. The book of The Shining is SOOO far superior to the film (Stanley Kubrick, right? So it must be a film, not a movie.) Your pictures are awesome. You probably have it posted somewhere, but I haven't had the chance to go too far back but, what kind of camera?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I worked at the ski resort we had mascots. This one mom told me that her daughter could absolutely not see the mascots. They had gone to disneyland and she developed a phobia of dressed up characters. maybe she made that site. clowns are a little creepy.

    I love the photos!! I wish you posted more though because I know you have loads of beautiful ones from the trip. I'm going to check your facebook now.

    Am I slow or did you really meet Jack Nicholson?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I did have your blog pulled up yesterday to comment & then my ADD self remembered what I got on to do in the FIRST place & I had to do it quickly before I forgot again. And then I forgot to come back & comment. Surprising, all of it, I know. As far as a comment on the pictures though, all I have is one word:

    AMAZING!!!!!!!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete