Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

(In "Huck Finn House" in Hannibal, Missouri.  It was about the only thing in there, to be honest.)

Well, the festivities have come to an abrupt halt, reality has reasserted its icy grip. Yet, it is with some relief I write that sentence-it means I survived.  I have gazed into the gaping jaws of hell and not succumbed to all-consuming fear. If you've read my mother's blog, you are now familiar with the events to which I allude.  If you have not, let me relate, in condensed form, the terrifying experience of flying in a model airplane.  My mother and I decided some little while back that we wanted to visit Nauvoo.  This eventually became an 850+ mile car-trip around most of the state of Illinois.  We made it from the east coast to Illinois without much to disturb the delicate balance of brain functioning on three or so hours of sleep.  However, air travel within the state of Illinois is a horse of a different color entirely.  During the near-fatal 45 minute flight I myself ranged the color spectrum from hunter, forest, to pea-green.  Landing in St. Louis we were directed upstairs where we were to pick up our 'boarding passes.'  As we began the trek to the extreme ends of the earth, things began to eerily resemble the opening sequence of some cheap 1930's horror movie. The place was deserted.  Imposing metal grilles protected the entrances of long-abandoned stores.  The 'conveyor belt' for people ran headlong into a wall, which still bore the sign "Walkers to left.  Strollers not encouraged." hanging above the abruptly severed belt.  We descended into the portals of the mysterious and discovered the 'waiting area' for our airline.  Hello, Mr. Hitchcock.  How are you? Fancy meeting you here.  At the counter, Helen checked our baggage and handed us over to Lowell who informed us of the time we would be boarding, but not before we were asked to reveal our most well-guarded secret-our weight.  "Say what?" I asked a bit dumbfounded.  Apparently to even out the weight on the plane.  Presently, the time arrived and we boarded.  Joe, or maybe it was Brian, I couldn't keep them straight, turned around and informed us that the fire extinguisher was under Brian's seat.  Well lovely.  He also informed us that we might experience some turbulence, courtesy of the weather system which was on its way out.  "Fine," I thought, "I've been flying through the tail-end of this system since we left home; I've handled it alright so far."  Oh, the comfort of ignorance.  We began to taxi down the airstrip.  Joe flipped open his window.  Seriously.  I looked out and saw a gremlin on the airplane wing.  (Okay, maybe that last bit isn't true, but under the circumstances I wouldn't consider it entirely impossible.)  We hit a crack in the pavement.  I felt us hit a crack in the pavement.  "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."  We're. All.  Going.  To die.  I promptly pulled out my copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray and buried my nose in it, alternating reading with experimenting with Lamaze breathing.  You know how you hear the stories of those who have survived being shot keep the bullet(s) as souveniers?  I'm keeping that copy of Dorian Gray.  It still has fingernail punctures in the cover.  Joe was entirely too chipper to suit my mood; the one time I mustered the courage to glance up, the pilot was looking back, giving me a thumbs up.  I wanted to respond in kind with an alternate digit, but my fingernails were still imbedded in my book's cover.  I know there are no double yellow lines to drift over up there, but for pity's sake, look where you're going please.  There ain't no Hudson to ditch in around here, darling, just freshly ploughed furrows. I have to admit, though, when I finally did calm myself enough to look out the window, it was breath-takingly beautiful.  We were flying low enough (I was hoping dearly that we were supposed to be that low) to see the patchwork fields and miniature farmhouses and barns.  It was like looking at Mr. Roger's neighborhood.  We finally landed in Quincy and from there my  mom and I drove to Hannibal, Missouri, origins of probably America's most widely-known author, Mark Twain.  You know, it was funny to find out when I got a little older that he and another of my favorite childhood authors, Louisa May Alcott, despised each other with a passion.  She, for some reason, thought him loud and 'vulgar.' 
A display in his childhood home.  The child waving at the window is actually in the room behind me.  The rooms were all glassed off at the door, so the reflection of the representation of his most famous character appeared to be present in some phantom form in the room in which Mark Twain's statue stood.
I just thougth the sign was cool; it's kind of 1930's Depression-ear looking to me.
Looking through the open doorways of the "Huck Finn" house.
Not from Mark Twain's era, apparently, but close by.  We stopped at a small eatery on the famous Route 66.  I got a postcard and admired the history embodied in the idea, but I just can't eat a glorified corn-dog at 10 a.m., so I missed out on the gastronomical experience of Route 66.  I was still recovering from the death-flight anyway.  Next post will be about Springfield.  Be prepared.  I have a lot to say about Springfield, and its all "over-enthusiastic, history-dork, confessed hero-worshipper of Lincoln style" praise.   

2 comments:

  1. sounds like an adventure! wish I could have come.
    what beautiful pictures! I have to say, the first one of the chair, is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of the flight is hilarious. Anyone who has been there will testify on your behalf.

    I wonder who would win if Twain and Alcott got in a fight? My guess is Mr. Clemens. Now in a Scrabble match? My money would be on Alcott.

    ReplyDelete