Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My initial intentions were to avoid vain repetition by posting tales of travel which have already been reported upon, as I am not a very adept teller of tales anyway. A genetic predisposition to exhibit signs of ADD prevents an economy of words and therefore dooms my attempts at storytelling to verbosity.  Tragically, however, I decided to write a bit anyway, just to be cruel.  Because I can. And because, glancing through as I was listening to my playlist for the blog yesterday, I noticed that I misspelled something.  Just for the record, I do know the difference between an ear and an era.  I did go to college and they did let me graduate.  
After leaving Hannibal, Missouri (every time I say that, though, I always think of Anthony Hopkins whispering, "Claaariiice?" through the bars of a jail cell.....kinda creeps me out, actually; anyway, to get on with the story...see what I mean about ADD?) we jumped in the car and headed towards Springfield.  It. Was. Amazing.  But, I'm getting ahead of myself.  Before traipsing downtown we stopped at a small restaurant on Route 66.  It lived gloriously up to my expectations.  The Cozy Dog contained all the necessary elements-walls covered in old signs, license plates, signed pictures of celebrities hanging side by side with pictures of the proprietor's family, an old hand gas pump, and yellowed posters advertising the "Birthplace of the Corn Dog."  To polish off the effect was a group of old men grouped together at a back table, wearing baseball caps and plaid flannel shirts their wives have probably attempted in vain to dispose of on multiple occasions.  They were awesome.  They met three times a week, one informed us, all amateur ham radio operators.  They should be made someone's brain-trust, seriously.  Inspecting the signs along the walls, I was amazed at how far the medical field has advanced.  Let me explain: we now have penicillin, vaccinations, MRI, x-ray, ultra-sound, etc. to help us diagnose and treat various illnesses and complaints.  One sign for a 'remedy' had a list which consisted of three columns of ailments and conditions the symptoms of which it could alleviate.  For instance: malaria, eczema, rhuematoid arthritis, nervous prostration (my personal favorite), and la grippe, just to name a few.  Sometimes I think maybe the old-days actually  were less complex-just spray some Windex on it, it'll be fine.  After leaving the Fount of Youth and Health, we turned the GPS to Camp Butler Cemetery.  After a slight mishap and a missed turn, we found ourselves in the.....hmmm, politically correct term.......ghetto.  We're lost in the ghetto and we speak a foreign language.  Then, right on cue, the lovely mechanized voice of the GPS informs us that it has "Lost Satellite Signal."  Suddenly I found myself longing for the comfort of the model airplane and Joe the Pilot's all-too-cheery thumbs up.  The roads were packed dirt, crumbling steps clung to derelict porches that looked as if the health department wouldn't condemn because it is not illegal to have a compost pile.  We passed a similar 'house' which had been converted into the local beer joint, complete with Budweiser sign hanging out front, under which the waitress(?) stood taking her cigarette break and chatting it up with patrons.  At three o'clock in the afternoon. Anyway, we traversed the Wasteland of the Protestant Work Ethic and found our way back onto charted roads.  Five minutes after regaining the ability to breathe adequately we pulled into the gates of Camp Butler National Cemetery.  It began life as a military training ground in 1861, after President Lincoln called for troops to answer the call to save the Union.  It very quickly became a prisoner of war camp for captured Confederate troops.  It has become the final resting place for veterans of every war since. Interestingly, it now also contains the graves of German and Korean prisoners of war.  Interesting that all those who fought so fiercely against each other now reside in plots of ground side by side.  I don't know why, as it really has no direct connection, but for some reason a quote by Oliver Wendell Holmes kept running through my head.  It is used at the beginning of Ken Burns' Civil War documentary (EXCELLENT, if you haven't seen it yet; my dream is to work with Ken Burns one day-I get unduly excited about his documentaries.)  "We have shared the incommunicable experience of war. We have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top.  In our youths our hearts were touched with fire."  There is just something artistic and poignant about those words. 
The next day, after recuperating from yet another near death experience, we headed for the land of Lincoln.  It was marvelous.  First we stopped in the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library.  When you ask my nephew, who will be two in the fall, 'how excited are you?' he squints up his eyes, balls his fists and tightens up his muscles until he shakes like an epileptic all while dancing on his toes.  That's how excited I was.  I was allowed to walk into the archives-I danced on my toes a little more.  Archives may sound boring and dry, but I like what FDR had to say about such things.  "To bring together the records of the past and to house them in buildings where they will be preserved for the use of men and women in the future, a Nation must believe in three things.  It must believe in the past.  It must believe in the future.  It must, above all, believe in the capacity of its own people so to learn from the past that they can gain in judgement in creating their own future."
In the atrium of the the building was an exhibit dedicated to the World's Fairs which have been held in Illinois.  This was extremely interesting as my boss told me of the time, in the thirties, when her own father was able to visit a World's Fair held in Chicago.  He came home and told the relatives all about this amazing new box which sported moving images and sound, no one believed in his stories about this so called 'television.'  There were also many pictures of the 1893 World's Fair, with which, if you have read Erik Larson's non-fiction work "Devil in the White City" you will be familiar.  And, if anything like me, freaked out and paranoid.  It is the history of America's first serial killer.  The history of how they built the White City was interesting, if you ever do read it-just skip the Criminal Minds-esque chapters.  Anyway, I was going to include the Lincoln Museum/home in this post, but I have much to say on that subject, and I fear I may have already rambled into the thickets of verbosity again.  Therefore, I will defer my raptures until the next post.  Aren't you excited?    


We (I) decided the  squirrel should be named Phoebus. Apparently cemetery squirrels are well-fed, and the name "Phoebus the Fat" just sounds like the nick-name of some lunatic Roman emperor, doesn't it? (It had been a long day-remember the ghetto...)

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! I'm glad you finally put up your gorgeous photos.

    And described the beer joint.

    At 3:00 in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I'd love to travel with you two. Beer joints at 3:00 in the afternoon? That's how I like to do it. Come over here and we'll go on lots of adventures together. And I want to hear more about the ghetto.

    Beautiful photos and I can't wait for your report on more of the trip. You really truly need to look into a career as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured the events beautifully through your photography. The squirrel on the tombstone is a gem. What a fascinating trip and how wonderful to share it with your mom. You guys are lucky.

    Don't you wonder what we, as a nation, have learned from our past? I mean there are unique events (the massive spill, baby, spill), but there are also things we should have learned - but we must learn them over and over. It's embarrassing.

    I love how you compared your excitement to your young nephew's.

    ReplyDelete