Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, June 12, 2010

(Just a note: since things are always better with a good soundtrack, I've added a few arrangements of some favorite hymns for this post.....I know, I know.....I'm a dork.....too late to change that now, though.)
In writing this post I am committing an historical faux-pas; relating things out of the order in which they happened.  Yet, it is the post which has been the most difficult.  It may sound insane to say that a vacation can be emotional, but for me, the entire trip to Illinois was emotional.  Perhaps it was due to the fact that each of the places we visited, each of the people we learned more about, had already claimed a portion of my heart and mind from a very young age.  C.S. Lewis was as dear a friend to me as any child could have, Lincoln, as I said last time, was a hero to a small child born over a hundred years after his death, and Nauvoo....well, if a city can, of itself, be dear to the heart, Nauvoo is to mine.  In Hebrew 'Nauvoo' means 'beautiful place' or 'place of rest.'  I suppose to the physical eye, it is a fairly typical mid-western town.  Not very prepossessing in terms of wealth, prestige or glamour.  Its beauty is of a different sort.  The history of Nauvoo is short, but not simple.  In 1839, after fleeing Missouri, the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints settled on the banks of the Mississippi.  There they built from the swamps a home, a beautiful place, a place of rest.  There also they began, in 1841, the construction of a temple.  It sits on the highest point of land, overlooking the broad, majestic river.  Yet, the Saints were driven again to flee their homes, this time leaving behind not only buildings and stores, homes and gardens, but the beautiful place of rest they had sacrificed so much to build for themselves out of wilderness.  It was here also, that Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum were taken from their families and carried to Carthage, from where they did not return.  The feelings one has, standing in a place such as this are indescribable.  I thought I would feel pain at the thought of the pain and loss which was endured, but I didn't.  The peace which was mixed into the mortar and stones, plowed into the fields, still remained.  As the Saints were driven to the banks of the Mississippi, they watched the temple they had built burn.  Yet, here I was, standing on the steps and looking at the same river they had been forced to cross in the month of February.  The temple was rebuilt.  People were once again able to enter its doors.  
My mom and I, on our last day, drove down to the place where the members crossed to the opposite shore; as I stood there, many things filled my mind.  I thought of the part, in Oscar Wilde's "The Selfish Giant," after he has forced the children out of his beautiful garden, where they had been wont to play.  Wilde wrote, "They used to wander round the high wall when their lessons were over, and talk about the beautiful garden inside.  'How happy we were there,' they said to each other."  I remember watching the short animated film of that story as a child, and how, when the narrator spoke that line, the lonely longing of those words struck me.  "How happy we were there."  As well, I thought of the line from one of my favorite musicals, "Fiddler on the Roof."  The Jews are being forced from their village of Anatevka to wander where they will; some of the villagers are standing in Tevye's yard, saying their goodbyes.  One line always stands out to me-"Anatevka.  Where else could Sabbath be so sweet?"  The day was overcast and cool, but not unpleasant.  The grass was deep and green, tree branches trailed in the flowing river-how my heart broke for those who had left this beautiful place.  But, as we were standing there, listening to the peaceful lapping of the water on the shore, looking for the last time on Nauvoo, the bells of the temple began to toll.  A peace which carried with it a certain power of strength and courage became so tangible it was nearly palpable.  I myself, in only two days, had come to love this city, and the people in it.  There was Elder and Sister Wilson, a man who worked in the sandwich shop where we ate two or three times, and the countless others we had come to truly love, through their kindness.  It was indeed a beautiful place, with beautiful people.  I finally realized then, that the same reason the members had to leave was the same reason they could leave this place of rest.  One of the only consistent things about history is the human race's inability to reconcile differences of religion, therefore the early Latter-Day Saints were fleeing their homes.  Yet, because of that same religion for which they were being persecuted, they realized that the place of rest was not in the city they had built, but within the knowledge they had of their Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ.  This they could carry with them, even if they must leave behind their possessions and trust in His care, that they would find another place of rest, whether in this life or the next.  This may sound cliche, but it was an important realization for me to arrive at.  That realization was the peace which permeated that verdant corner of Illinois.  That was what made it beautiful.  It was re-enforced to me that, although this life is fraught with pain, loneliness, uncertainty, loss and fear, it is also full to the brim with love, kindness, beauty and, if we know to which source to look, peace.  Not a peace of mortal proportions, but a peace in the knowledge that we are indeed precious in the sight of Heavenly Father, that our pains and sorrows do not go unnoticed, nor our prayers unheeded.  They may not be answered in the manner in which we would like, but that does not mean they go unheeded.  
There is a book I have on my shelf, which, should the house suddenly spontaneously combust, and I only had a moment to choose which books to escape with, and it came down to this or my C.S. Lewis, I'm sure dear Lewis would understand.  It is called, "Shepherds, Why This Jubilee?" by Jeffrey R. Holland.  It is a book about Christmas.  Notice I didn't say, a Christmas book, but a book about Christmas.  Please forgive the long quote, but bear with me, it is worth it, I think.  
"As they made their way toward the temple that day, the Holy Spirit was resting upon a beloved elderly man named Simeon, one whom the scriptures describe as 'just and devout.'  It was revealed to this gentle and venerable man that he would not die before seeing the Messiah-"the Lord's Christ," as Luke phrases it.  The Spirit then led him to the temple, where he saw a young carpenter and his even younger wife enter the sanctuary with a new-born babe cradled in his mother's arms.  Simeon, who had waited all his life for "the consolation of Israel," took that consolation in his arms, praised God, and said: 'Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: for mine eyes have seen thy salvation, which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; a light to lighten the gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.  And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.  And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; (yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.' He was joyously happy.  He had lived to see the Son of God be born.  He had held the child in his very arms.  He could now die the happiest man in all of Jersualem, maybe in all the world.  But his joy was not of the superficial kind.  It was not without its testing and trying....his joy had something to do with 'the fall and rising again of many in Israel,' and with this child's life-or at least his death-which would be like a sword piercing through his beloved mother's soul.  We might well ask, "Was such an ominous warning, such a fateful prophecy, appropriate in this season of joy?  Surely such was untimely, even unseemly, at that moment-when the Son of God was so young and tender and safe, and his mother so thrilled with his birth and his beauty?"  Our answer is, yes, it was appropriate and important.  The true meaning, the unique and lasting and joyous meaning of the birth of this baby, would be in the life he would lead and especially in his death, in his triumphant atoning sacrifice and in his prison-bursting resurrection.  It is the life at the other end of the manger scene that gives this moment of nativity in Bethlehem its ultimate meaning.  Special as this child was and divine as was his conception, without that day of salvation wherein he would gain an everlasting victory over death and hell on behalf of every man, woman, and child who would ever be born-until that day should come-this baby's life and mission would not be complete.  Worse yet, without that triumphant atonement and resurrection he might have been remembered only as one born in abject poverty, scorned in his own native village, and tortured to death by a ruthless Roman regime that knew everything about torture and death.  But wise old Simeon understood all of this-that the birth was ultimately for the death-and it thrilled his soul that salvation was come.  Yes, for me the most important Christmas visitor of all may have been old Simeon, who, not in the absence of hard days and long years but because of them, would sing with us tonight at the top of his voice, 'Joy to the world, the Lord is come; let earth receive her King!...No more will sin and sorrow grow, nor thorns infest the ground; he'll come and make the blessings flow, far as the curse was found.'"  
The same reason the inhabitants of Nauvoo were forced to leave was the same reason they could leave.  Although they stood on the banks and watched their homes burn, that burning could not destroy the knowledge they possessed.  That is what I learned from Nauvoo, the beautiful place, the place of rest.   

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, this is what I was staying up for!! You do so well putting into words all of the feelings that so many people have. Love ya bunches!

    BTW-there's a typo in the Shepherds title. Just thought I'd let you know-I know how you are about those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what touches the heart the most - your photographs or your words. This whole post is beautiful.

    It was an amazing trip with you, and I'll treasure the memories forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your passion in this piece! You are a person of many gifts. You write so well about many things, from the mundane to the spiritual. You have made me laugh out loud and tear up. I feel enlightened when I read your words. And educated. And uplifted.

    Thanks so much for your response to my last piece. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post about a beautiful place. I absolutely love Nauvoo too. My dad loved church history and knew as much about it as anyone can. We had a 15-passenger van when I was young and we'd load it up with kids and take trips to Nauvoo. I always said I'd get married in the Nauvoo temple though there were no plans of it being re-built at the time. My parents drove cross-country with us when we moved from CO to NC. It was so special to have that time with them and visit Nauvoo again. we were able to do some work and it was wonderful. I have so many wonderful memories of it and you described the feeling of being there perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As if your words and pictures were not enough, I think the addition of the hymns made it really hit hard. That wasn't a post about your travels, it was your testimony...and it was beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete