Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, July 5, 2010

(Atticus and Scout Finch, from To Kill a Mockingbird, the BEST book/movie ever in existence....seriously.)

Although I know it is now past Independence Day, and I therefore should be posting about history and our nation (that will come, never fear), I still have yet to post about Father's Day.  Let me just say, my mama is my best friend, but I think I'll always still be a Daddy's girl.  Plain and simple.  I remember reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time and finding Atticus a very familiar character.  I'm not sure how he managed it, but my father was quite a bit like Atticus in that he did not expect my sister and I to behave like adults, but neither did he treat us like children, if that makes any sense.  It's one thing I've learned to appreciate very much as I've grown older.  However, there have been some amusing incidents between my father and I during those transitional years; I suppose it is just inevitable that parents will invariably revert to 'parenthood' no matter the number of years you've long since stopped wearing pigtails.  We were sitting around the dinner table one evening, my mother, father and I.  I was saying something to my mother, apparently in a very animated fashion, and, being my mother's daughter, I was using hand gestures to accentuate my statements.  Not "You'll shoot your eye out!" style gestures, just vague waves of the hand.  My father watches me for a moment, reaches across the dinner table, takes the fork out of my unresisting-due-to-shock grip, places it on the table and explains simply, "You'll hurt yourself."  The 'amusing' point of this story?  I was a full time college student managing a job at the public library and another at the college, two time-consuming jobs at church, and a few minor photography jobs on the side. This memory relapse is apparently common at some point to all fathers, as so deftly illustrated by this scene from "Father of the Bride."

It is common also, however, for daughters always to remain their father's daughter.  For some reason, I'm always more pleased when I can make my father smile than anyone else; it's always been that way, I suppose.  A couple of months ago I was sitting in the breakfast room in a hotel in Illinois and overheard a few words of the conversation next to me.  Two women were discussing 'Take Your Child to Work Day,' and how fun it was to pack a lunch for two and eat in the office.  I had to smile because it was so different from the lunches my sister and I shared with our father on those days.  My father is third generation lumber man, and so we grew up out of doors.  I think we stayed filthy as often as we stayed clean, and enjoyed every minute until we discovered it was considered 'work.'  We tromped through dense thickets of briars, slogged through marshy swamps, came home smelling of gasoline, machine oil and tree sap and covered in insect bites.  It was a great way to grow up.  It's why I became a librarian.  Anyway, every morning before we headed out, our father would give us the lecture: don't get around the machinery-they can't see/hear you and could easily accidentally slice you into deli meat, don't distract the workers and if a tree starts to fall, run like hell.  (Sorry for the language. And no, my father never swore in front of us, but that was the general idea, trust me; we could understand that even at that tender age.)  For lunch we would stop in the convenience store and get Lance crackers and a soda, drop the tailgate and feast.  It was glorious. 
My obssession with history began while listening to my father's stories of his father during the war, and his own experiences growing up during the tumultuous years after that horrendous event.  One story from my own childhood is one that only in the years succeeding has become amusing.  Growing up, I had nearly every orthodontic device contrived by man.  I once tripped the metal detector at the airport.  True story.  Anyway, one day, when I was in fourth grade, all of the bottom brackets of my braces, excluding the two on the molars, popped off, leaving the wire free.  It immediately hooked itself around the brackets on the top row of teeth, creating a synthetic form of lock-jaw.  Well, here's a pretty pickle.  I finally conveyed my emergency (in a non-vocal manner) to the teacher who immediately marched me to the front office and phoned my father.  What transpired afterwards, in the way of phone calls to the orthodontist I have no idea-my part in it picks up when my father actually arrived, in person, in the school's front office.  With a pair of newly acquired nail clippers soaking in alcohol.  I was instructed to lie down on the couch, like a shrink patient, which, trusting in my father's superior judgement, I did.  He then proceeded to do emergency orthodontic work in the head office, clipping the thin wire with the clippers and telling me to 'go back to class, we'd get more brackets put on tomorrow.'  Kid you not, you can't make this kind of stuff up, trust me.  Isn't it always nice to have inventive minds around to handle the unexpected?
There are hundreds of other stories about my dad I could share, but I suppose I'll wrap up by saying that Father's Day or any other day, I'll always love my Atticus dearly, no matter how old I get. 

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to be part of such a classy, uppity family (nail clippers and all).

    Love you

    (I love that part on Father of the Bride - it's great)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely absolutely lovely!! Don't you feel so bad for kids who don't know their dads or don't get to spend quality time with them?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where my comment went but I left you one last night.

    But you're right about being the daddy's girl - why do you think I get YOU to ask him to do things I need done???? You have more power than I have!

    You were definitely born into a high-class family - nail clippers and all.

    (Love the Father of the Bride clip - I just love that whole movie)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, would you stop with these? They make me cry. (Okay, you don't have to stop-but at least tell me about them before I read them so I'll be prepared-thanks). I always loved going to work with him too. You remember that "house" we built one time. And did you forget that you never, EVER step OVER a fallen log?

    And if you're going to bring up the brackets sticking to one another, you should have brought up the key & the dental floss. I don't know why I didn't remember about your braces sticking together but the "retrieval system" I always do. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this piece - terribly. Mockingbird is one of my top 10's. I can't remember exactly how I ran across your blog - or you (or your mom) ran across mine, but it had something to do with favorite books me thinks. Atticus is one of my favorite people, fiction or no. He is the dad I wish (and most often fail) to be.

    Living outdoors as a kid is a way of life that much of our young society has never truly known. You and your sis were blessed to have parents who made sure you were outside with each other.

    It is obvious to us faithful readers how much you and your sister love your parents. I wish more people would read your blog.

    ReplyDelete