Is it September already?! When did it become September?! When did August happen?! Did we have August this year? I feel like the character Ned in one of my favorite movies, 'Holiday,' with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. During the opening scenes of the movie, Ned wakes with a bad hangover and a butterfly bandage on his head. After church services that morning someone casually asks, "Have a little accident there, Ned?" "So they tell me; I don't seem to have been there when it happened." I don't seem to have been there when August happened. Does that ever happen to anyone else? Please say it does, even if it doesn't, lie. Anyway, here's how I know August happened: August 25. "What is the historical significance of August 25," I hear you asking from across the webbed universe? Simply this: public school commenced. And after the torrential floods, a rainbow appeared, promising the earth would never again be so cursed....at least until June 2011. I like children, really, I do. I like them like you like looking at a python at the zoo. It's fine as long as he is on the opposite side of a plexiglass wall, but let him slither out among the throng and suddenly things shift dramatically....No, really, I do like them. At the public library you have to like them because the end of school means your sudden assignment as foster parents to nearly half the city's population. But, when all's said and done, it can be worth the medication. (However, you do have to learn to live with a perpetually bleeding heart.) Anyway, August 25-first day of school! I think I even saw some scraps of manna still on the ground when I left the house that morning....It brought to mind a few things: first and foremost, this brilliant commericial from eons ago:
I hope the marketing department got a standing ovation for that creative achievement. They deserved it. All the librarians walked around humming that tune and smiling. Later that afternoon the phone rang. Me: "Hello, --- Library," "Yes, I have a question." Long pause.... "Yes ma'am?" "Is this the library?" Me, grinding teeth, "Yes ma'am...." "Do you have after school programs?" "In theory or in practice?" "I'm sorry?" "Nothing, never mind....No ma'am, we don't." "You don't?" "No ma'am." Click. Me, hanging up receiver: "Who wants me to pick them up a milkshake on my way back from lunch?" Other librarians, frantically scrambling for spare change.
At work, we all like children, but we can also find a rather morbid sense of sympathy for all of the wicked stepmothers, always painted as the villain, in children's stories. We are the wicked stepmothers. Reviewing the summer with the rosy tint of nostalgia photoshopping out the more depressing hues, this clip from Bill Cosby came to mind:
Which then made me think of another clip from that same stand-up. (Keep in mind, I do like children, really....)
All prospective parents should be required by some pre-parenting class to work one summer in the public library......We had a group of children frequently come in throughout the summer that we assumed after a few days were siblings. Why did we make that assumption? Because they bickered constantly. I overheard the youngest, of I would say about five or six years, say to his older brother, "You do and I will slap you into outer space." Personally, I kinda believed the kid. He was short, but short people learn to be tough.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Ha!Ha! You're so bad...
ReplyDelete