I had the opportunity this weekend to photograph the wedding of some friends of mine, which was fun in itself, but also allowed for the fun of 'getting there.' I love road trips-the feeling of actually going somewhere. I don't know how to adequately explain it, but there is something about having a destination, but getting to see new things along the way that is just......fun. Add in the fact that I've always loved the fall, maybe even more than spring, even though it's a close competition, but in the end, like I said, I think fall wins out. Which is why I completely understood, when I read C.S. Lewis' Surprised by Joy for the first time, I understood to what he was referring when he said that the first time he felt that pleasant pang of something resembling, but not entirely like, nostalgia was when reading Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin, and being affected by the idea of Autumn. Anyway, to get on with the story, my mom and I had to go down near the coast, so the landscape changes somewhat between here and there, but it was great. We stopped at the Wilbur Tyndall Tractor Museum. Seriously, that was the name, and according to the sign, volunteers were needed. So, although no one was there (not enough volunteers, I guess) we got out and took some pictures. Down the road a bit was a road-side stand selling pumpkins, chrysanthemums, peanuts, potatoes, tomatoes, jellies and jams, and various other items. (You know you've been a history major too long when you stop to photograph pumpkins and start thinking about how they were part of the Columbian Exchange.....) But, the best part was, I found a guy I wanted to bring home. He was adorable. He was friendly without being annoying. He actually whimpered when I had to leave. And did I mention he was the cutest thing I've ever seen? I have photographic evidence that he actually exists, too......
You also know you've been a history major too long when you take pictures of gears and start to think about Descartes and his mechanical theory of the universe....and I wonder why I have no social life.....
Didn't I tell you he was adorable?
























I love, love, love, love yours. And yes, he is adorable.
ReplyDeleteVery cool pictures. You and your mom are amazing photographers. Your style is very similar too. Did she learn from you? You learn from her? Did you learn together? Great stuff.
ReplyDeleteBrittany spaniels are about my favorite dogs. One of my best old friends was a Brittany. (Brittney?) Fall may be a little more pronounced in your neck of the woods. We have just a tinge of color, a hint of coolness in the evening air. The days here in the midlands are hot and dusty but, like you I can't wait.
Thanks for posting.
These are fabulous! That is the cutest dog. Fall is definitely my favorite too.
ReplyDeleteI love Fall too! You definitely express it the best about traveling! I love having a destination!! =0)
ReplyDeleteHere I was scrolling through all the pictures waiting to see the cute guy who captivated your heart... can't say i was disappointed, because he is awful cute, but let's say there had to be some paradigm shifting to be done. :)
ReplyDeleteI 've been meaning to ask you - since you have read more than most people, have you ever read Forrest Carter's The Education of Little Tree? It is one of those that has truly made me laugh and cry in the same sitting. Just wondering.
ReplyDelete