skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Author Quotes
- "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
- "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
- "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
- "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
- (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
- "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
- (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
- "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
- "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
- "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
- "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
- "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
- "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
- (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
- Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
- "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
- "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
- "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
- "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
- "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
- "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
- "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
- "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
- "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
- "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
- "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
- "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
- "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)
"Why do you say it like that, with your nose all scrunched up....'You're French, aren't you?'"
So there's this movie that I love, which I probably shouldn't, but I do, so there....It's called French Kiss starring Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline. The more I watch it the funnier it gets. There's this one part where Kevin Kline, playing a frenchman, asks Meg Ryan, who has shown nothing but disgust for him, "Why do you say it like that, with your nose all scrunched up, 'You're French, aren't you?'" Anyway, that's what this little news clip made me think of. Plus, I kinda hate the French right now.....or at least the person who failed me on the French translation exam I just had to take. I'll admit it was kind of a blow. An expected blow, but a blow nevertheless. Foreign languages are not my thing. I wish to goodness they were because I would love nothing more than to be fluent in 15 different languages, but alas the fates have not smiled upon me in that department. Or, you know.....many others to speak of, but still....Still, it was a blow because the last time I ever failed anything was in seventh grade. I'll never forget it, I made a 23 on an Algebra test. (Big surprise there, it was in math.) However, there was some consolation in the fact that no one in the class passed that test, the person sitting next to me made a seventeen. I can still remember that experience, the classroom, the way the light slanted in from the back windows and cast a glare on the green chalkboard, the smell of cheap, damp industrial carpeting and the scent of the hog farm at the back of the field adjoining the school grounds, drifting in through the open window on a hot August breeze. And getting a 23 on a test. I can't smell a hog farm now without the feeling of anxiety bred by failing a test ressurecting itself. Okay, maybe not, but to get on with the story....maybe that recent experience of failing the translation exam (a 300 word essay about something to do with the French Revolution. The only thing I really know about the French Revolution is that a bunch of genetically discontent, downtrodden and presumably inebriated peasants broke into a prison and freed everyone, including some dregs of society....just kidding, I know there's more to it than that, apparently) is one of the reasons why this article was so funny. "There's nothing more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm....."
"Sarkozy admits French language a hoax after Wikileaks exposé
After yesterday’s Wikileaks revelations, Nicolas Sarkozy has today confirmed that the “French language” is indeed a one thousand year old hoax. The president of France revealed that what purported to be his native tongue was in fact complete gibberish, admitting the French really speak English, except in the presence of the British. This comes as Wikileaks published cables sent by French diplomats to countries such as Spain, China and Russia which were all found to be written in English.
During a speech given in received pronunciation, the French President came clean, stating that it all started off as a joke during William the Conquerer’s invasion to make the aggressors seem a bit more exotic. “What was initially a prank snowballed and after a few years we realised we’d look silly revealing the truth, so we had to keep up the façade,” said the Premier. “In the company of any Brits we would try to make convincingly “French” sounds, a mixture of guttural grunts and rapid-fire syllables.
But as soon as we were on our own we’d all heave a huge sigh of relief and revert to English. We developed a heavy reliance on hand gestures to cover up when we ran out of likely noises, and the shrug was a particular boon if inspiration dried up. In the end we became quite the raconteurs, with an impressive array of supposed vocabulary. So what began as a game for the élites, became a hobby across all levels of society, and it shocked us that the Brits were so naïve as to not see through the charade.”
Sarkozy claims Wikileaks will soon expose a number of other “languages”. “I mean, seriously guys, has anyone ever actually listened to “Arabic”? Je ne sais pas…..”"
Many thanks to my friend Stephen, a linguist in training, who posted this on facebook. You're awesome, dude.
Ha. My favorite is the hand-gesture & shrug references.
ReplyDeleteMy biggest problem is getting foreigners (people North of the Mason Dixon line) to understand my English.
FYI, Algebra was to you what Chemistry was to me. Why couldn't school have just consisted of reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" and left it at that.
I know right, who ever thought the leader of the French could be so impressively snarky. Don't you just know some people in France totally missed the sarcasm and thought, "I can't believe he's saying this! The nerve!" Ha! that's like, have you watched the special features on "Get Low" when Bill Murray says that he spent most of his time with Lucas Black, who is from "somewhere in Alabama, so, you know, I spent most of my time reading his lips trying to figure out what he was saying..." Yeah, well, thank goodness they haven't outlawed silent prayer in schools, because that's the only way I passed chemistry, too. Exactly-To Kill a Mockingbird and then A Tale of Two Cities for diversity's sake. And the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Phantom of the Opera and The Count of Monte Cristo, just to include the French. Even though they should have originally been written in English.
ReplyDeleteFunny. Yeah, I wasn't too big on chemistry either.
ReplyDeleteCan I just say I Can't Wait to see you next weekend?!