I haven't written anything in a while because, to be honest, nothing has happened which would translate well into an amusing, relatable anecdote. And, to be honest, nothing has changed. I don't have a funny or entertaining story to tell, no pictures to share and no exciting announcements. The subject of this post was actually inspired by the subject of a conversation this weekend and, (and you have no idea how loath I am to admit this tidbit) a movie. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, not much can outdo To Kill a Mockingbird, and it wasn't even a memorably bad movie.....it was just....alright. But, it concerned a touchy subject for me-namely high-school. See, most people hate high-school; I however, can claim to be an overachiever in this department, even if in no other. Basically, my public school experience went downhill after third grade. Kid you not. During those tender, formative years of what people claim was my childhood-although I prefer to see it as my practice adulthood-I was in hell at least 98.9% of the time. I repeat-it was hell. See, here's the thing, learning was not an issue (math excepted), but relating to my fellow classmates left me sticky with a cold, sweaty panic. Still does. I had orthodontic work from second grade to ninth. My hair was wild and frizzy. I had freckles. I was scrawny and chicken-legged with no indication that I would ever boast anything like a feminine figure. I was, still am, ghostly white. I liked books-strange books compared to my classmates. Sweet Valley and the Babysitter's Club never really caught my attention, but I wanted to know about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, what happened to Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher as they wandered in the maze of caves, how Jo March fared as she pursued a career as an author. It wasn't that I was smarter or better, I just liked different things. This, apparently, was unacceptable.
I still have a scar on my left elbow from an incident on the way to the cafeteria, one day in seventh grade. We had to go around the outside of the building in order to get into the cafeteria, and the parking lot was in the process of being repaved. Right in front of the cafeteria doors, there was a long swath a few inches wide which formed a gulf between two sections of asphalt. It had recently rained, and so the gulf had become a small channel filled with muddy water and crumbling asphalt. Rather than walking in single file, we were allowed to walk in a group, and so I was walking by myself in a space between other groups consisting of three or four chatty pre-teens. Just as I came to the channel and began to step over, I received a massive shove on the back by three pairs of hands. I fell face first into the puddle, catching the ragged edges of the pavement on the way down. My jeans were ripped at the knees and both they and my shirt were soaking wet; both hands and forearms were slightly oozing blood from the abrasions that ran from fingertip to elbow on each arm, my left elbow sporting a jagged cut. And these from those who claimed on odd days, to be my friends. My mom stilled worked at the school and so I was allowed to go to her classroom to get bandaids and sympathy. The only thing I remember, really, is the sting of peroxide and trying desperately not to burst into tears in front of a room full of kindergarteners. Not long after, as I sat my tray down at the table where I sat simply because no objections had until then been verbalized, one of the other lunchers casually turned to me and asked why I sat where I wasn't wanted.
Now, these may seem like juvenile and petty things to remember ten or more years later, but my point is this-when such things occur daily, hourly for years, regardless of what is preached to us, our self-esteem and self-image becomes generally and almost inevitably based on the type of treatment we receive from others. It is easy to begin to believe that there is truth in what they say, that if it were not true, it would not be said by so many so frequently. We begin to see ourselves as they say we are. This leads to something known in psychology as the Looking Glass effect. Now, I am no psychologist, and so I don't claim to know all of the details on this subject (and it has been years since I read anything about it). The gist of it, though, as I understand it, is this: we perceive ourselves in a certain way, subconsciously we convey these perceptions to others through things such as verbal patterns, body language, etc. They, in turn, accept these perceptions as presented by us and return them, reaffirming our perceptions of ourselves, leading us to accept what was our own opinion of ourselves as an outsider's original opinion of us. This cycle is self-perpetuating and often enacted without either party ever be conscious of its existence. So you see, if, during the period when children are learning to exist and function socially independent of their parents, they suffer ridicule and rejection from their peers, it often sets the course for many years to come. The sad thing is, those who already, and I am not just talking about myself here, suffer from a dismal lack of self-esteem are juicy and vulnerable prey for the more socially fit. Therefore, those who are least able to defend themselves become the most hunted.
For some, it drives them to overachieve and prove their worth, for others, and I think I can safely say, for most, it becomes a stumbling block which they battle years afterwards. It is almost like Jean Valjean in Les Miserables. After his release from long years of imprisonment, he was given a yellow card which identified him as a former convict. He was required by law to present this card whenever he applied for employment or moved to a new place. Of course, no one wished to employ a convict or allow him to be their neighbor, and so the yellow card essentially extended his sentence to a life sentence. He was imprisoned by what he had once been. Sometimes, the scars left, and the self-perceptions we adopt in our youth, are our yellow cards. The difference being that we condemn ourselves to carry those yellow cards in the form of low self-esteem, and fear that maybe we are as worthless as we felt, that maybe it is better if we just keep ourselves to ourselves. It has prevented me, and I am sure many others, from accepting friendships, from applying for jobs in which they would actually excel, if they allowed themselves to try, from many other good things in life. In short, it can affect every aspect of your life. Without delving into any deep religious conversation, I will say this-it also prevents us from accepting blessings and gifts from a loving Father in Heaven who is probably pained by the thought that we do not love something which he so carefully and thoughtfully created-spending time to not only create a world filled with beautiful things, but to fill it with distinct and individual beings with personalities and talents, whom he considers his most precious creations and loves more than we can ever begin to fully understand. Our worth, although it is hard to see, is in our existence. Heavenly Father created us, and therefore we are endowed, not only with inalienable rights, but with intrinsic worth. Although it sounds so simple, this is probably the hardest thing to accept and realize in this life.
So although it is true that highschool cheerleaders are actually the keepers of the gates of hell, it is also true that highschool is not forever-that is, of course, unless you let it be. Those yellow cards are self-assigned. It is not easy and it is not quick, but it is possible for things to change. The catch is, no one is going to do it for you but yourself. It is tough, but hey, if you've been tough enough to survive high-school, you can pretty much take it. Right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Well said, my dear, well said.
ReplyDeleteIf there is one thing I sincerely would love for my children and grandchildren, it would be for you all to know of your true worth. I love your statement that "our worth is in our very existence" but that is the very thing that is the hardest for us to realize.
And while it's hard not to let high school scar you for life, it is at least a relief to know that there are plenty of others who feel the same way about school.
I'm glad we watched the movie together.
I had a great weekend and I love you!
In my child development classes, they would say the same about the "at risk youth", that all their lives they were treated like bad kids and would eventually end up being just that. I believe it can be true to a point, but then there comes a time in a kid's life that their choices should outweigh what they've been told. You, Miss, are an amazing, , intellegent, beautiful person and I hope that you see that one day. Love/miss you.
ReplyDelete-Amanda
As a way of coping, I've sometimes rejected people based on other people who have rejected/hurt me in the past. It's a form of prejudice and I'm working on it, so I hear you.
ReplyDeleteKelly, just so you know... I'm glad to have you in my life. It's nice to have someone who shares music/movie tastes and makes me feel less alone or weird in the universe. :)
Thanks, y'all. You know, Mama, I think that is what kind of made me realize that I had to start looking at things differently-realizing that Love Potion #1 will be starting public school and that she'll most likely have to deal with that type of person at some point in her educational life, and how I didn't want her to believe what some little jerk tells her.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean, Endi-it is sad to think that so many kids that are repeatedly told they are no good, simply because the parents were told the same thing by their parents. There were quite a few kids who would come into the library that you could tell had a lot of potential if someone would just take the time to direct it in a positive way. Thanks, girl, you've always been a good friend. I miss you, too. I hope everything is going well for you.
You know, Hannia, its kinda weird, but that is actually what made me write this post-I hadn't thought about it that way, but you are exactly right. Sadly I've caught myself rejecting friendships because they seem like they could've been a jock or cheerleader in highschool or some other equally lame excuse. Haha! Yes, the universe is a large, strange place sometimes, so it is good to have you along, too!
It's cool that you have been able to realize that your happiness and worth does not depend on others. Mean people suck. But there will always be mean people. So we must always rely on ourselves to see past other people's perceptions, right?
ReplyDeleteHigh school is a difficult time to navigate. I went for a couple years to a Catholic HS and tried desperately to be one of the in crowd. I had good friends to be sure, but never achieved the status I desired. I wasn't an athlete, not very good looking, we weren't rich. I was sort of a wall flower.
Then we moved to another area and I went to a public school for my last two years. At that point I stopped caring about all the stuff that made me worry at the other high school. I began to read. I had a few very close friends and it was just what I needed.
So, after going there for 4 or 5 months, never tapping into the social scene at all - one of the cheerleaders asked me to the prom. FIgure that one out. Didn't go.
You have probably seen this. I know I have posted it before, but Mother Teresa had it right.
People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you.
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight.
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, there may be jealousy.
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough.
Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God.
It was never between you and them anyway.
- Mother Teresa -
Thanks, Tim.Your highschool experience sounds kinda like mine-I didn't move schools, but I did finally make a small group of really good friends my last year/year and a half, and even though I didn't really have many friends through middle or early highschool, it was totally worth waiting for the kind of friends I got that last year. Haha! You're saying you didn't want to spend an entire evening with a cheerleader? I can't possibly imagine why not-they can be such charming people.....
ReplyDeleteI love the Mother Teresa quotes. I know this is going to sound kinda dorky, but I teared up a little on that last one "You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway." I have a lot of trouble remembering that sometimes, so I actually put it on my desktop, so that I can look at it every day before I leave. Thanks.
What can I say? It was good for your sister to hear you come to that realization. That last part is great. I've heard most of the beginning part of it but I don't remember that last part for some reason. Love you!
ReplyDelete