Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 20, 2011

Wish Fulfillment by Proxy of the Zoo and Blogging

So, ever since I was a little kid I've dreamed of travel-of seeing the world, of distant lands with different cultures, hearing different languages, seeing different horizons, of experiencing life from a different perspective.  One of my dream careers was (is) to be a photographer/writer for National Geographic.  If I had had more guts as an undergrad I would have majored in journalism and minored in photography.  Alas, I assumed I would never be good enough to get a job with National Geographic, or, you know, a job in general with a journalism degree, so instead I majored in History.  And haven't been able to get a job.....the universe does have a sense of humor, doesn't it?  Anyway, I'm still secretly (maybe not 'secretly' now) harboring a deep rooted dream of travel and photography; so in order to fulfill part of a dream in at least a "pretend" way, I went to the zoo on Saturday and spent the day in Africa.  It was pretty awesome.  It was a tad hot, so most of the animals were smart enough to stay indoors, or just lay lifeless and lethargic under the shade of distant trees-except of course the human animals, the so called "reasoning animals," which were the only ones dumb enough to be exerting effort in 95 degree weather.  Kinda makes you wonder, eh?  Anyway, because most of them were taking it easy, I didn't get very many pictures.  I never got to see the elephants or the rhinos, the gazelles, or the gorillas.  I also didn't make it to the North America end of the zoo, as I was....how shall I put this?  completely bushed by the end of Africa.  Which taught me something-I shouldn't have been worried about my lack of skills preventing me from fulfilling my National Geographic dream, but rather the fact that I am a total wuss.  Anyway, here's what I got.....
(Oh, and P.S.-because of your post, Tim, I actually remembered to slather on a good quarter inch thick layer of sunscreen before I spent the day in the sun, so thanks! (my mother thanks you, too :) ))


 A Scarlet Ibis, as in James Hurst's short story of the same name.  I read it in my sister's English textbook one year, when I was a kid and have never gotten over  forgotten that story.  It is one that definitely sticks with you. You can read the story here.   I didn't realize this, but James Hurst actually was from North Carolina, and grew up in a town not far from where I live now.....hmmm. Might have to look into that.  Anyway, the rest of them.....













3 comments:

  1. I love the monkey pictures-that black and white one is incredible. And aren't the orchids so pretty? Yeah, The Scarlett Ibis is one of those I try to keep shoved in the recesses of my mind & other things piled on top of. It kind of did a number on me all those years ago and darnit I can't make myself forget it. North America is pretty neat too. Kind of fun to see some buffalo in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually try not to read others' comments before writing my own because I don't want to intentionally say what someone else said. I glanced at Heather's and I was just about to write her first sentence verbatim. I take pictures (I don't MAKE pictures as you do) but that one in black and white takes my breath away. I zoomed in a couple times and got really close. There is something wonderful about the texture of the fur and the background. And there is such a pensive look on its face. The rest are brilliant too. But that chimpanzee is truly memorable.

    My wife, Heidi, was a cheerleader before I met her. Of course I didn't know this when I was gazing at her from a distance, too much a of a fraidy cat to approach her. But when we unpacked our stories for each other - there it was. She was the CAPTAIN of the cheerleaders no less. In so many ways she was so different from me: popular/not, pretty by society's standards/um, not so much, tons of friends/few close ones, etc. But the thing about Heidi is that she was friends with everyone. She had a special eye for kids who needed to be included and for those who were lonely. She tried to make high school more pleasant for kids. Before I fell in love with her I wouldn't have known.

    Anyway, I'm getting too autobiographical on you. Thanks for taking pictures and putting them up there. You may not ever be a famous photographer, but you are as good as any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These really are gorgeous kiddo. I started to read that story and decided rather quickly it would be in my best interest not to.

    hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete