Author Quotes

  • "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." Edgar Allan Poe
  • "The love of knowledge is a kind of madness." C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" (1/8/10)
  • "...my private opinion is that after the words 'In the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread; another clause has dropped out from the original text, running 'In the exasperation of thy souls shalt thou attend social functions.'" C.S. Lewis, "Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis Vol. 1" (9/17/09)
  • "If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown." Ralph Waldo Emerson (9/16/09)
  • (Description of Charlotte Lucas) "Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be the pleasantest preservative from want." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (8/4/09)
  • "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to noone, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But, in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredemable. To love is to be vulnerable." C.S. Lewis (5/13/09)
  • (Elizabeth to Jane) "Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice" (3/21/09)
  • "If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (3/15/09)
  • "Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute." Mark Twain (3/14/09)
  • "How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door of our deliverance, by which alone we can be rais'd again from the affliction we are fallen into." Daniel Defoe, "Robinson Crusoe" (2/12/09)
  • "I did avoid a critical personal examination...I referred to all the people of high standing I could think of in the community who would be least likely to know anything about me." Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad" (1/10/09)
  • "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. We are bidden to 'put on Christ', to become like God. That is, whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (12/23/08)
  • "Let us never forget what the poor widow did, when we think we are charitable." Charles Dickens, "The Life of Our Lord" (11/30/08)
  • (Writing of champion boxer, Max Baer, in comparison to James J. Braddock) "Everything was so easy for him-but great champions usually are fashioned by adversity." Jeremy Schaap, "Cinderella Man" (11/27/08)
  • Dorian Gray to Lord Henry, "'I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice.' Lord Henry smiled. 'People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity.'" Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/18/08)
  • "Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, History would have been different." Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (11/17/08)
  • "In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (11/14/08)
  • "Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (11/5/08)
  • "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it." Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (11/1/08)
  • "Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect." Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" (10/27/08)
  • "'Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. 'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'" Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" (10/26/08)
  • "The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use for oneself." Oscar Wilde (10/25/08)
  • "I have been cautioned to talk but be careful not to say anything. I do not consider this a difficult task." Mark Twain, "Nineteenth Century Progress" (10/24/08)
  • "Only keep your ears open and your mouth shut and everything will lead you to everything else in the end." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/23/08)
  • "I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least." C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" (10/22/08)
  • "Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one. But all he said out loud was: 'Where is the King?'" C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy" (10/21/08)
  • "Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself." C.S. Lewis, "The Problem of Pain" (10/20/08)
  • "If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity" (10/19/08)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, August 12, 2011

How the World of Dating is Like 'The Wizard of Oz'


Sorry, nope, the clip doesn't have anything to do with the post, but it just seemed fitting considering my lengthy absence.  Plus, Eddie Murphy totally makes that movie.  But yep, I am still alive.  Promise.  Anyway, I have to admit that while such a lengthy absence would in other circumstances result in a profound, well-written, well-researched post by someone else, such is not the case.  Instead, my "comeback tour" post is the result of one of those afternoons when your mind wanders in that harmlessly aimless manner of that one slightly senile yet amiable relative who shuffles around in nothing but a bathrobe and slippers at Christmas dinner.  So, during this mind-stroll through a Sunday afternoon park, I began to think how the world of dating is remarkably similar to Frank L. Baum's children's classic The Wizard of Oz.  It would take too long, and admittedly it would be too boring, to explain how my mind wandered into this train of thought, so I'll just skip the introduction.  
(Personally, The Wizard of Oz for me resembles dating in that it is a complete fiction that takes place in an alternate reality.  Grad school is like taking the cloth and a vow of silence.  Except you still have to decide what to wear every day.  This all began when I was thinking about the current state of the economy, which led to thinking about how in the 1960's it was argued by one writer that the classic novel was actually a political argument in favor of bimetallism, which supporters claimed would stabilize a similarly bottomed-out economy in the early twentieth century.  This led to remembering the time when I told that story during a conversation on a date, which apparently was not a "date-like" thing to say, as it effectively ended both the conversation and the date.  Which is when I first began to suspect that I would completely suck at dating; it was a rare moment of pure clairvoyance...Okay, so I gave the introduction anyway.)  Anyway, here's how dating is like The Wizard of Oz:

First, the shoes.  The shoes are the key to the whole thing, everything revolves around the shoes.  The woman with the right shoes holds the power.  'nough said.  Not surprising that in the movie they were a pair of red heels.  If clothes make the man then shoes make the woman.  

When it comes to dating we are all the Cowardly Lion.  At least I know I am.  Roar? I'd rather not, thanks.  If you roar loud enough somebody might take you up on the challenge, and then where would you be?  "Think fast and you might live to lie about it."  If you're gonna growl, you've got to have the gumption to back it up-and few of us are blessed in that capacity.  Rather than live by the maxim "Leave not for tomorrow what you can do today, " I live by the advice "Run, Forrest! Run!"  And it has stood me in good stead thus far.

The Scarecrow.  Ah, the Scarecrow.  The brainless one.  I am of the opinion that love makes you stupid.  This can be good or bad-depending on how you use that stupidity.  I hate to sound cynical, but "All you need is love"?  Well, no, not really.  What you need is a steady income and a good dental plan.  So when you marry, don't marry for love, marry someone with a good, responsible, if not ten year plan, then at least ten year idea of a goal.  Or at the very least good teeth.  Love is definitely requisite for successful dating, but the brainlessly flippant, frivolous line of dating that doesn't take into consideration the impact your decisions will have on the other person which seems to be, from my general observations, so prevalent nowadays doesn't do anybody any good.  I'm sorry, but when some of the most popular t.v. shows running are shows on which self-centered, materialistic people are supposed to choose a spouse over the course of a t.v. season, the world needs help.  The field has become inundated with scarecrows. 

Dorothy: maybe it's just me, but it seems like we're all Dorothys, to a certain extent.  One second you're a country rube trying to outrun a tornado and singing about rainbows that, in your present circumstances, would only show up in varying shades of gray, and the next you're being accosted by slightly disturbingly pigmented, diminutive people who insist on singing to you in helium-saturated voices and giving you candy which may or may not be spiked, considering their current state of apparent inebriation.  You feel lost, far from home, out of your depth and thrown into the middle of a story of which you don't know the beginning and have no idea how it is going to end, but said ending nevertheless seems to depend on you.  The best you can do is make friends along the way; friends who aren't perfect, but that's alright because you're all there to help each other.  At the same time, this process can take you from a world in black and white to a world where Glenda the Good Witch can wear lipstick of a decidedly alarming shade of pink.  

Wicked Witch of the West-does the phrase green with envy seem suitable to anyone else?  (At this point I have to throw in my beef with most children's stories/fairy tales, etc.  Why is the blonde always the "good" one and the brunette the "bad" one?  Seriously?  Give us a break once in a while....At least Dorothy was a brunette.)  No matter what you look like before hand, the particular shade of green known as envy never made anyone attractive.  However, the upshot of being the Wicked Witch of the West is that you get to have an army of cyanotic, winged, simian minions to send after that cute, annoyingly perky little interloper who flounces in and successfully launches herself at every individual of the male-type within a 100-mile radius.  I could probably enjoy being the Wicked Witch.....all I require is unquestioning loyalty and a pair of opposable thumbs.

Finally, the Wizard.  Interesting tidbit about this: I once read somewhere that the coat used by the man who played the Wizard, the guard and the carriage driver, was bought at a thrift store.  When he put his hand in the pocket, he discovered a label which, on inspection, bore the name Frank L. Baum.  Weird, huh?  Anyway, the Wizard and dating.  There is no Wizard.  If there is anyone, he is just a man behind a curtain with a machine with bells and whistles.  People are just people, including us.  The "magic" isn't something someone else is creating, it is how you yourself are looking at the situation.  The world is what it has always been, the only thing that you can change is the way you personally look at it.  It is only after realizing that the "Wizard" isn't really a wizard that Dorothy realizes that she had the ability to go home all along.  Sometimes in dating, we expect the other person to make us happy.  Nobody is a wizard; other people can help us be happy, but not only is it impossible for someone else to actually make us happy all the time, it is unfair to lay that expectation on the shoulders of the other person. 

So there.  The Wizard of Oz wasn't really about bimetallism and stabilizing the economy after all, it was about dating.  Next up-Charlotte's Web.  A country fair, a pig, a spider weaving a web, a gluttonous rat...it's perfect......And who says I'm not a romantic? 

    

       

5 comments:

  1. Ha! You are a funny girl. I'm glad that you have your ruby writing shoes on again. I love this book and this series. In the past I have read several in this series to my students during the school year. They are a little hard to read, you know? The language is old fashioned and L.F. Baum turned phrases his own way. Lots of stopping and talking about what that means, etc.

    At the end of one year, when it was really hard to say goodbye to my little ones, knowing that we would never all be in the same room again - just us. Our relationship was changing; coming to an end. We would always be friends but it would never be the same, know what I mean? I'm an old softy anyway so it was hard for me not to get choked up at our goodbye.

    One of my best little friends comes up to me and gives me my hug before she gets into her car and into her summer and into the rest of her life without me as her teacher. And she hugs me so sweetly around the neck. Tight. Then she turns my face in her little hands and looks me right in the eye and says, "I'm going to miss you the most, Scarecrow." Thanks for reminding me of these guys.

    And that old scarecrow was the coolest. No brains but all of the common sense. But listen, date to find out who you love. Marry for love. Good teeth are nice too. And the dental plan.

    Great post. Hope your summer was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim-I'm telling my husband all the time what a wonderful teacher you must be. The scarecrow was my favorite in the movie too. And by the way, thanks for posting that video on your blog that my mom sent to us. That Finally got the message across to my husband about exactly why I preach about sunscreen all the time (he does at least always make sure he gets it on the children but now he's finally making sure he gets some on too!). Glad it worked out for you-I think there's too many people that still need you around for quite a while longer!

    Kelly-too funny! And yes, I too am so glad for a new post! And it's even funnier since it reminds me of our conversation this past week.

    Excellent, excellent at the end. I'm so glad that you know that better than some other people seem to get it. Someone else can affect your happiness but they don't have to be your happiness. So true.

    And listen to Tim. Come on, you still have Griffin House as #1 on the playlist up there...I think you may be more of the romantic than you like to put on. Huh, what, did I just type that out loud?! Although, yes, you're not quite the hopeless romantic that I am. I mean, I did hate "Atonement" because it didn't turn out happy (although we did have the "Sommersby" conversation on another occasion earlier this week). Can't wait to "lay my eyes on you". Hurry over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to post this earlier... THANKS for turning me on to Griffin House! Why haven't I heard of him? I love the song on your blog and learned it right away. I checked him out on youtube. Many of his tunes are simple - Better Than Love, The Guy that Says Goodbye to You is Out of His Mind - some are deep, all are good. In case you haven't seen this video check out I Remember (It's Happening Again)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJoT96xnRZ0

    Beautiful. Haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! I have to admit, I kinda had fun writing again.

    I have to admit, Tim, I've never read the books (eek!) but I've got them on my list, now. That's so sweet about that little girl! They always know just what to say, don't they? When it really matters they can always come up with just what you need. I'm in the nursery at church where I am now, and I have to admit, I think I need them more than they need me. On my first Sunday in there, I was sitting there and this little girl came up and sat down with me, put my arm around her shoulders and snuggled in close. She never said a word, but just reached over and squeezed my hand. I was a total goner. Thanks, I'll try to take that advice-now if the right kind of guys would just ask, I might actually date them. Any suggestions on how to get them to ask?
    You're very welcome! Isn't Griffin House great?! And those two are my favorites! I love the one you put up the link for-I hadn't heard it before. You also ought to try The Civil Wars, they're pretty good, too.

    Heather-you know, we know people down there, you could always send the children down there just for 180 days each year. As for the rest, good thing I've got a really smart, kind (only slightly) older sister who taught me what I know! Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe I am a TINY little bit of a romantic, but you'll never get me to admit it. Should I trade Griffin House for 'Chain of Fools' instead? :) Love you bunches and bunches! Glad I can stay longer this time and spend some time with you!!!!

    Here's a link for one of The Civil Wars' songs

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ug1R9b3JU

    (I'm having some issues with the comment thing-so sorry if this shows up a hundred gazillion times...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant. I love how you related each character to all of us/dating world. And I was just thinking this past week how ridiculous the Bachelor is. Can't wait for the Charlotte's web comparison.

    ReplyDelete